Almost 1 year old is still not sleeping through the night, Anyone have any solutions?

Think I am going to have a mental breakdown, Im exhausted my almost 1 year old is still not sleeping through the night, Anyone have any solutions? I give him a bath, bottle and put him down to bed at 8 every night. What am I doing wrong?

BrodyBearsMama

Asked by BrodyBearsMama at 9:36 AM on Jul. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• here is a link to a previous ???? about the same thing. It has lots of ideas on it. GL

http://www.cafemom.com/answers/243177/please_help_me
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:48 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Getting him up in the middle of the night. What do you do when he wakes in the middle of the night? First don't get him up. Let him cry and if he doesn't fall back to sleep in 5 minutes go to him and pat his back and talk to him but do not pick him up. He has you trained and is used to waking up and you coming to him. Put a radio or tape machine in his room and turn on some music, give him a lovey and then when he is calm say goodnight and leave the room. If he cries let him cry for 5 more minutes and repeat.
    You could also just let him cry it out but most moms don't like that. He needs to get into the habit of soothing himself to sleep instead of having you come in. It may take a week but it will work.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:53 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• All 3 of my boys did this. They didn't sleep through the night till about a year. I feel for you because it was exhausting. We had to do the cry it out thing.....it was hard, but it did work. It took about a week. The first couple days were rough, but it was harder on me than it was on them I think. Good luck!
    Hannah22

Answer by Hannah22 at 10:22 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• I swear by the book Solve your child's sleep problems by ferber. It is AMAZING! My son just turned a year and up until a month ago was getting up ALL the time at night. The book teaches you what you are doing wrong in your childs routine that is preventing them from being a good sleeper. It does however have some CIO... but honestly, when fixing the other things there is very little crying. My son was sleeping on his own by day 4... and in the 3 days leading up to it he only cried 15 minutes TOTAL. He cried about 8 minutes the first night, 5 the next and 1 the last night. Now we do bath, books and songs in his room before bed and then to his crib when he is getting sleepy and he just lays down and goes to sleep. And almost never wakes up at night anymore and if he does he goes back to sleep on his own quickly.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:09 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Oh mommy... *HUGS* my son had sleep issues since birth so I get it!! my recommended book for you is healthy sleep habits, happy child - you can skip right to area's and not have to read the whole book to get answers right now - I don't have enough detail to see or understand why your little one is waking though - how many times does he wake? What happens when he wakes? Do you go to him? Does he go right back to sleep? is he teething? Are you still on bottles at night?
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:54 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• my dd didn't sleep through the night until she was 13 months old and a month later I had my son. hes been sleeping though the night for about 2 months now and I still wake up at night.
    izzybear0217

Answer by izzybear0217 at 3:19 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• It is normal for babies to wake during the night. My baby is almost 19 months and he still wakes at night. My almost 8 year old didn't sleep all night until at least 2 1/2 and he still wakes up most nights. I always woke up at least once a night even before I had kids.
    aehanrahan

Answer by aehanrahan at 1:54 PM on Jul. 17, 2009