Would you ever give up on your child?

If your child started acting out, becoming violent and upset all the time, Would you give him/her away? What if it was a step child, would you encourage your husband to sign away his rights to the child if the child was causing chaos in your home?

I asked this because i came across a statement in a different post and was very disgusted by it. I dont think you should give up on your child regardless of what they do.

What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:23 AM on Jul. 16, 2009 in General Parenting

• Exhaust every resource, and I am sorry, but as far as stepchildren go, unless this is a child that I didn't know about when I married for whatever reason, then I accepted the child when I accepted the man. I fully believe that when you get involved with someone that has children, you get involved with the children as well. I would perhaps consider a reform school, or therapy if those hadn't been explored yet. I would like to think that I wouldn't give up on my child. I have a stepson that was having really bad behavioral problems for a while. He still stayed in our home all the times he was supposed to. It will only make things worse if you send them away. I think that tells your children that you don't care enough about them, and to a stepchild, that is choosing your spouse over your children. In serious circumstances, that should never happen.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 10:27 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• I would never give up on my child. I am his protector, his mother, the one constant in his life. I would not take that away from him, no matter what he did. And I would never encourage a man in my life to give up his child, regardless of what that child did. I wouldn't want to be with a man who would give up his child. And any man that asked me to give up my child would be gone as soon as he finished asking the question.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 10:26 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• I agree with Mom1Stepmom1.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 11:02 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• I would never give up on my child. My mom never gave up on me. As for a step child, I'd liek to say that I'd never give up on him/her, but honestly there's so many variables I don't know. If we had FULL custody, yes, I would NEVER give up on him/her. But if mom had cusotdy, or 50/50 it'd be hard for me to really give 100% cause he/she HAS a mom. ykwim?
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 12:26 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• I would say if a parent can not handle their children's behavior and can not provide the best care for them then yes they should, however only after seeking professional help. Now if it is a step child that is visiting: (young child)generally young children act out during such situations to convey their desire and need for their home, CP, siblings etc. Taking the child home helps to resolves problems as a young child will learn that if needed they are still able to have the other parent and are not trapped. Forcing a child to stay in the situation will likely not improve it, as the child will learn that the NCP cares for them selves, "getting their time in" and not for the child's obvious distress. In young children fits (constant fits) are their way to convey to the adults that they are having problems that they can not solve. With visitations it may be simply needing the other parent. Parents should talk to resolve the issue
    Anonymous