Burping a Sleeping Baby (Frustration)

Ok. I love the bonding part between feeding my baby and when we share looking into each others eyes, but I get somewhat frustrated with the burping part. I don't know if it is because I'm not good at it or if I'm doing something wrong, but a lot of times, he falls asleep on me with no burp. I can sit down and burp him for 10 minutes or more and get nothing. It has been stated that you can burp a sleeping baby, but I have yet to figure that one out. Why does my baby fall asleep while feeding a lot of the time? Am I feeding too much? Does he need a nap? What is making him so tired and making it so difficult for him to burp? I try all of the burping positions except for laying him face down on my lap as he is almost 20 pounds and almost 3 months. Too big for me to try that, but I do lay him on his tummy in his boppy to try and burp. Any ideas on why he always falls asleep while feeding and how to burp him?

momtoblake

Asked by momtoblake at 10:27 AM on Jul. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• sit him up on ur leg n try burping. also when he starts falling asleep during feeding take the bottle out of his mouth if he really wants it he will wake up
    EthansMommy5

Answer by EthansMommy5 at 10:30 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• All babies fall asleep when they are eating when they are infants. I honestly never burped them when they fell asleep. My kids didn't like to burp anyways they were more farters. lol. As long as the baby doesn't have any stomach pains or act like it's bothering him then I wouldn't worry about it. I only burp mine during the day when she's awake when she eats, and she's already sleeping through the night now.
    Hannah22

Answer by Hannah22 at 10:30 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• My son was the same.....I think sometimes it took a good 10 or 15 minutes!!!! The best position was him sitting on my lap, me holding his neck and head up and burping. And he slept through it all the time LOL I believe when our son was around 4 months old we started laying him on his belly to sleep, we used one of those positioner things from birth and rotated from side to side. Anyways....I feel your pain, because then they sometimes get gassy and cranky. Poor little babies
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 10:31 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Its normal and relaxing for babies to eat and fall asleep ! tha said, I would slowly lift my son and lay him on my chest and slowly stand up and gently bounce and he always ended up burping. and from what I understand, you can sit him up while he's asleep and burp him -sit him up, face him forward and bounce your leg a little as you pat his back - My son had colic so he rarely fell alseep while eating or at all for that matter..lol!! good luck!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:49 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• It's not necessary for babies to burp after every feeding. Sometimes they just don't suck in a lot of extra air so there's nothing to come back out. The important part is that you try, to give him a chance to get the gas out if there's any in there. But chances are, if he's sleeping, there's no gas bubble in his tummy making him uncomfortable, so leave him be, he'll be fine. :-)
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 1:09 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• I didn't burp my baby when he was asleep. He only got burped when he showed signs of needing to burp. Daddy was the expert burper here.
    aehanrahan

Answer by aehanrahan at 1:45 PM on Jul. 17, 2009

• Thanks to everyone who replied. A lot of your advise really helped. I also switched my baby to a soy based formula specifically for spit up due to him having that issue to. The burping does seem to be getting better and the spit up does, too.
    momtoblake

Answer by momtoblake at 6:53 AM on Jul. 20, 2009