Going to court?

has anyone went to court when there babies daddy doesnt pay childs support? What is it like? Are you together? Anyone know anything about this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:33 AM on Jul. 16, 2009 in General Parenting

• If the child support is court ordered and the non custodial parent is paying their support, a court date will be scheduled. The other non custodial parent is required to appear, and if the don't they are in contempt of court and can be sent to jail.

Often times they will be ordered to pay a "purge" which is a percentage of the past due support, as ordered by the judge. If the purge is not paid by the due date the police will pick up and take the parent into custody.

The hearing is usually quite short. You do not need to speak to each other, in fact, it is rarely permissible except outside the courtroom. If you are afraid of or uncomfortable with being confronted by the other parent, take a friend, relative, or attorney to court with you.
    Anonymous

• I've done it a few times. I just go in, tell the judge he isn't paying, and then he has to explain why. If the judge believes it's a good enough reason, they won't do anything. If the judge thinks his reason isn't good enough, he can be put in jail, have his license suspended, be ordered to start paying on the arrearage, ordered to do a job search and provide proof of it. It usually doesn't take very long. I think, most of the time, I'm in and out of the courtroom in 15 minutes or less. I don't do it anymore though; it's just not worth it. My ex never changes, no matter what they do to him, so I just gave up.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 10:44 AM on Jul. 16, 2009