• In the Spotlight:

Watching TV

I have heard that you shouldn't let your lo watch tv, why is this? My 6 1/2 month old LOVES to watch clifford and educational cartoons like this. He usually watches like 30 min of it every morning. He is entertained and I can wake up just a bit while he is happy so why is it that you shouldn't let them watch tv?

leann74016

Asked by leann74016 at 10:34 AM on Jul. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• oh whatever.. let him watch it.. who cares, hez 6.5m.. im sure hez not going to turn out to be a couch potao.. lol if my kids would watch it they would have been there for as long as i could get them to.. lol but they still wont watch the darn thing..
    ArlieBeeMee

Answer by ArlieBeeMee at 10:40 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• There is nothing wrong with a half hour of TV a day or even a little more. It's when mothers start using the TV as a baby sitter and the kids do nothing but sit in front of it all day. But obviously that's not the case for a 6 month old and as long as you don't let him turn out that way then it's absolutely fine.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 11:28 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Actually, there IS something wrong with 1/2 hour of tv. It depends on what your watching though. I've never seen clifford so I don't know, but watch it and see if the camera changes frames a lot. One of the issues is that with Adult TV(and a lot fo kids shows) it changes angles WAY too often and babies can't keep up. So their brain gets used to always changing like that and it *can* contribute to ADHD(running theory). Sesame street is OK, and I'm sure there's some others. If he gets a glassy eyed look on his face it's time to find something else for him to do. Babies brains just kind of "shut down" after a while. Also, educational TV for babies isn't possible. They need hands on stuff. A flat screen really can't teach them anything. And for the record, I HAVE plopped my DD down in front of sesame street for 10-15 minutes so I could wash dishes or chop veggies with out her getting in my way. :)
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 12:22 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• It's been linked with language delays, that's why it's not recommended. I'm not sure the whole deal on it, so I can't comment. We choose not to have tv most days, but my 2 year old watches maybe 2 episodes of yo gabba gabba a week right now while the baby naps.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 12:44 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Do you have links to the studies saying TV in infancy is linked to ADHD? True ADD/ADHD is a chemical imbalance - not something you can train into or out of the brain.

Anonymous

• Sorry, let me clarify - its not an "imbalance" as in something is missing or too high, etc. It's, however, a biological and not a psychiatric issue. I used to work for a therapist specializing in ADD and ADHD that said a person that truly has it is born with the disability and can not 'learn' their way out of it, alter it with diet, etc. Some children portray ADD/ADHD like behaviors in response to certain diets or other factors that can be changed. That's not true ADD.
    Anonymous

• OP - at 6 months it's unlikely she's getting much out of the show (in terms of educational value) but if she seems to enjoy it long enough for you, to say, shower or start dinner. . . hey, whatever works for you. It's the same as nearly everything else at any age: moderation. If you're not using the TV as a child's sole source of entertainment during his/her waking hours, I don't see the problem.

fwiw, my DS watched Rolie Polie Olie at that age. Usually just a 1/2 hr a day and primarily because he was fascinated by the images. He watches 1-2 hours of TV during a regular day starting with some in the AM and some in the afternoon. He also spoke early: 1st word (duck) at 6 mo. old, at 1 yr a vocabulary of over 50 words and full sentences by 18 months. He was starting to read 2 1/2. My DD followed a similar pattern. Today my 7 yr old is doing work 2 full grade levels ahead. He listens well in school, focuses, etc. No TV harm.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 1:10 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• I should add that outside of those TV times, we have always spent a lot of time talking to, reading to/with and singing to/with our kids. We surround them in language (both spoken and written) and they have absorbed it.
    ldmrmom