How long are they in jail?

if he doesnt pay child support and they put him in jail how long does he stay there??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:35 AM on Jul. 16, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Well when you find out let me know. Mine has never paid support, is 10's of thousands of dollars behind, has NEVER been to jail for it, works under the table, drives without a license and just does what ever the hell he feels like despite the fact that we were married for 14 yrs and have 3 children. However, if he is in jail...he isn't making money so still no support. I look at it this way. It is a mixed blessing, we did not get support, but we did not have to put up with his shit over the years either. I raised my kids alone for yrs, met a man who helped me do it the past 8 and did just fine. They are 3 smart, happy, healthy, wonderful human beings and I am damn proud to call them mine!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 3:23 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• It depends on your state's laws and the judge. In my case, my judge put my ex in for 30 days the first time, 30 the second, and 60 the third. I gave up after that b/c nothing changes with him, and I have someone in my life that wants to adopt my kids if/when we get married, so it's easier to just let it go. And the judge might not even put him in jail. They can suspend his driver's license, order him to do a job search and provide proof of that search, or if you get a real pathetic judge, they might actually believe his story (if he's just being a deadbeat) and not do anything at all to him. It's all up to the judge.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 10:37 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• that sucks, cause he has no job, no car, no DL, no nothing.. theres nothing they can take, nothing they can do BUT put him into jail..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:43 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• My SO went to court and the first time he wanted to put him in jail for 30 days, luckyily his best friend came with us and when the judge said that he stood up and said .... ID LIKE TO PAY IT FOR HIM! lol, so they hauled my SO away and ran his name. They found bench warrants and he wasnt allowed to go until he pai atleast half of his other fines (for other things besides child support) and got setup on a payment plan. His bestfriend ended up forkin out over 1100 that day!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:45 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• If he has had a job, when he files income tax they will take that from him and send it to DR to be applied to his child support
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:46 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• it depends on state judge and much owed...if he is working you set it up so its automatically garnished from his pay check....good luck
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:50 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• If you can get them to put in jail, be glad. My ex owes me almost 40 thousand and they still try to work out "arrangements" for him to catch up every time he goes to court. He only goes to court about twice a year if I keep calling and reminding them that he is not making the payments. He makes a big lump sum of a couple of thousand about a month later and then nothing for months until they take him back to court again. The payments help but regular pymts would be much better. They keep saying that if they put him in jail, I wont get anything. Hell, I'm not getting it anyway? Lock his sorry butt up for a while and let him learn that way. Child support enforcement in this area is a big waste of taxpayer money.
    jaybird110

Answer by jaybird110 at 12:27 PM on Jul. 16, 2009