do you think it is right for same sex couple to have kids?

i have a friend who is bi ad is with anotgher female and wants to have a baby. they were asking me questions and im not sure of how to answer them. the questions consist of . would you be ok with us having a baby? would you halp us with raising the child? and so forth. now i have no problem with the lifestyle. but i am stuck because i do not know how to answer these questions.

loving_sister

Asked by loving_sister at 10:45 AM on Jul. 16, 2009 in General Parenting

• I have no problem with same sex couples having or adopting children. As long as they are good parents and can provide for the child, they why shouldn't they?

Helping them to raise the child though is your choice. If it was me and I was close with the friends, then yeah, I'd help out with what I could. But i'd do the same with a straight couple as well.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 10:51 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• I see nothing wrong with a same sex couple having kids. They can be just as good, or just as bad, as straight parents. Parenting skills are not based on sexual orientation.

If you are close enough to this couple, and you want to help them raise their child, great. If not, I'd just be honest with them and tell them why you don't want to do it. Although, I do have to say, I'm a bit confused as to why they would ask you that. Asking if you would be ok with it, I get, they are are looking for support. But most people don't want someone outside of their spouse or significant other helping to raise their child. Unless, maybe they mean in terms of helping with things like babysitting and such?
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 10:56 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• I agree with mommylee08
    AmyShaffer06

Answer by AmyShaffer06 at 11:00 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• There is absolutely nothing wrong with it and it really helps weed out the bigotry against groups like homosexuals. However with her being "bi" she should really consider it because "bi" typically means she likes both and wants to be with both. Will her and this girl last once her desires to be with a man take over and she feels the need to pursue it? yes I think its great when homosexuals have children because the ones I know that do are above and beyond amazing as parents, most are better parents than the straight parents I know. Anyways to answer your question, yes.
    kloesmommy

Answer by kloesmommy at 11:01 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• YOUR FRIEND IS LOOKING FOR SUPPORT FROM HER FRIEND. IF YOU DO NOT A PROBLEM WITH THE LIFESTYLE I SUGGEST YOU TELL HER THAT BRINGING A CHILD INTO A COMMITED RELATIONSHIP IS A GOOD THING. A CHILD IS ALWAYS A BLESSING REGARDLESS OF THE CIRCUMSTANCES, AND THIS CHILD WILL BE NO DIFFERENT. THE PROBLEMS WILL COME WHEN THAT CHILD GROWS UP INTO THE WORLD OF PEOPLE WHO ARE AGAINST THIS, BUT BELEIVE ME IF THIS CHILD IS IN A HOME OF LOVE ALL OTHER OBSTACLES WILL SUBSIDE.

ANSWER THE QUESTIONS WITH YOUR HEART.

Answer by older at 11:04 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• I think they have every right to raise a child. But asking you to help is a little presumptuous. Just like with any straight couple they should probably be ready to raise their children on their own. There is nothing wrong with asking for help like "would you babysit sometimes?" but asking "Would you help RAISE the child" that is really asking a lot.

I would tell her that I would be around to support her as a friend as much as she needed, but when it came to the actual raising and upbringing of the child that is between her and her mate.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 11:08 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• I think there is nothing wrong with same sex couples having a baby. Are they looking for emotional support? Help with babysitting? Godparents? Your level of involvement should reflect your personal comfort level with the situation. If you are uncomfortable, it will show and make things worse, so be up front with them about your feelings. I know several couples who have adopted children and are excellent parents! What are your personal reservations with this union? Talk it out with them and see what they say. It may help with your choice, and will allow them the chance to clear up any misunderstandings. Good luck and I hope everything works out! :)
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 11:10 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• I enoucrage it. It take a lot to decide to have kids and go though the adaption process or though treatment/serogets (sp?). It's a bigger decision than "opps I missed my period". So in my opinion it would make them better prepared in many ways than parents who accidently had their first. (just a generalizeation,t hough).

And any new parent needs help. Offer advice, how to change a diaper, what to do when a temp gets too high, etc. A break after weeks of colic and sleepless nights.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:17 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• i agree with mommylee and tropicalmamma.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 11:24 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• I don't understand the question. Why would a loving, financially secure couple not be allowed to have children?

Answer by rkoloms at 11:41 AM on Jul. 16, 2009