SWISS STEAK

DH wants me to make this for him using a tomato based sauce (not using cream of soup). I have some sirloin tip slices in the freezer & want to use them up (even though it really is too hot to cook).

bocamom62

Asked by bocamom62 at 11:03 AM on Jul. 16, 2009 in Food & Drink

• If you're looking for a recipe, here's what I do: Take 15 oz. can diced tomatoes or tomato sauce, add chopped green pepper and onion, 1/2 to 3/4 tsp. instant beef boullion (optional), stir in about 1/2 to 3/4 tsp. Worcestershire sauce. Cut the steak into serving sizes, dip both sides in seasoned flour (flour, salt, pepper) and brown on both sides in melted butter. When both sides have been browned, dump the sauce over the steak, cover and simmer until tender.

If you have a crock pot, just brown the meat and put it in the bottom, cover with the sauce, cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 1:13 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• I just use: tomato sauce (canned), add cream of mushroom soup to that, throw in a packet of Lipton onion soup and toss the meat in. I do mine in a crockpot to avoid using the oven. You can't tell the cream soup is in there, but it adds great flavor. I like the idea of throwing onions and peppers in it though as PP does!

I've used anything from round steak to sirloin. I usually flour and brown the round steak, but last time I did sirloing, I just tossed it in. I let it go like 8 hours and it was awesome!

Good luck!
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 4:23 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Marcy, I found this recipe on one of my favorite sites.

Cook Time: 1 hour, 45 minutes
    Ingredients:
    2 pounds round steak, 1 inch thick
    1/4 cup all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
    3 tablespoons vegetable oil
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes
    3 tablespoons chopped green bell pepper
    Preparation:
    Cut steak into serving-size pieces. Combine flour, salt, and pepper; pound into round steak with meat mallet. In a large skillet, brown meat in hot oil. Add onion and tomatoes; cover and cook swiss steak over low heat for 1 1/2 hours, or until tender. Add green bell pepper; cook Swiss steak 15 minutes longer. Skim off excess fat. Taste and adjust seasoning.
    Swiss steak serves 6 to 8.
    joy2beamommy107

Answer by joy2beamommy107 at 6:52 AM on Jul. 23, 2009