Does anybody know what this could be?

My friends daughter is one week old and all the sudden she threw her arms up and her eyes go back and forth really fast for about 10 seconds while she is completely still and when is stops she starts crying. Has anyone ever had this happen? What is it? Do you think she was just "startled"? What kind of specialist should one see for something like this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:06 AM on Jul. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• That sounds like maybe seizures. I would take the LO to the dr. immediately.
    jreneei

Answer by jreneei at 11:09 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Is it like a seizure?
    MommaM2

Answer by MommaM2 at 11:09 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• sounds like she got scared. My son use to throw his arms up. His eyes never went back and forth but he's a scaredy cat. LOL He jumps over the littlest noise
    Zacherysmommy08

Answer by Zacherysmommy08 at 11:09 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• BABIES TEND TO DO THIS THEY ARE STARTLED EASILY BUT THE ROLLING OF THE EYES IS A DIFFERENT STORY. BETTER BE SAFE THAN SORRY, SHE SHOULD TELL HER PEDIATRIC DOCTOR HER CONCERN. IT JUST MIGHT BE A SEIZURE.

Answer by older at 11:19 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• OP - She took her to the hospital. They told her she is just fine and she is probably just startled, but she doesn't think they are right, she fears its something more.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:27 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Was her baby sleeping before it happened? young babies have that startle reflex and maybe she woke herself up, my 4 month old used to do that alot until he grew out of it.
    aidensmyangel

Answer by aidensmyangel at 11:42 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• The throwing up of her arms sounds like a startle reflex but the eye movements don't sounds right. To me it sounds like a possible seizure. If she has already been seen by a doctor... try getting a video of it when it happens... because if they can't see what you are talking about it's hard for them to help unless she does it while you are at the doctor (which you know, never happens)
    In the mean time write down when it happens... time of day, what was going on... all of that might help if it is in fact a seizure.
    Hopefully it's just normal newborn behavior.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:04 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Seizures, tell her to video record it if she can when it happens. I have seen this with a friends baby, it is very difficult to get doctors to understand or believe you when this happens. Babies usually only have seizure due to a lack of blood getting to the brain.
    kirsty_mcgrail

Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 1:19 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• My baby did have seizures and they were really similar to this. My DD would get really stiff all of a sudden and her lips would move like she was sucking and her foot would twitch. seizures affect different babies in different ways so this could be seizures. Get to a doctor ASAP and dont leave till that baby has been tested for seizures. My DD gets EEGs, exposed to a flashing light, and sometimes a CAT scan when she is checked out. GL hope everything turns out ok. Sending prayers
    sadiesmom87

Answer by sadiesmom87 at 3:47 AM on Jul. 17, 2009