Is Cocoa Butter ok to use during Pregnancy & will it Help reduce the chances of Stretch Marks?

I've always been small around my waist and tummy. I'm afraid of Getting A lot of stretch Marks and i heard Cocoa Butter Helps with that.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:15 AM on Jul. 16, 2009 in Pregnancy

• YES IT DOES, AND IT CAN'T HURT EVEN IF IT DIDN'T.

Answer by older at 11:17 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• I like a good quality Shea Butter to use but cocoa butter might help too

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:18 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• None of it works! Well, for me atleast. I covered myself my whole pregnancy in coco butter and it didn't work. If your mother has them you will get them. Its just genetic.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 11:20 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Yes it is safe. Them actually have a kind made for pregnancy, Plamers Choco Butter. My sister used it and she has no stretch marks at all, but i think that just runs in our family, none of us got stretch marks on our tummys. Any other kind of lotion like that should work just as well. You don't have to buy the Palmers, its more expensive & i'm sure theres nothng special about it other than the bottle.GL
    Iluvmygirlies42

Answer by Iluvmygirlies42 at 11:22 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• I use cocoa butter and it doesn't work for me so i am going to try just vietmen e cream some say that is better but my strecth marks are spliting open and bleeding
    newmom183

Answer by newmom183 at 11:22 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• I used palmer's cocoa butter for pregos , and thanks to that I don't have any stretch marks on my belly! But after my son was born i noticed stretch marks on my thigh, stupid me did use cream on that part!

Albi1623

Answer by Albi1623 at 11:30 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Palmers Did NOT work for me. I rubbed it on my tummy night and day since I found out I was pregnant and I still got stretch marks. ITs genetic. If your Mom got them, sorry to say but your most likely to get them as well. Also I do know you should diffently keep your tummy moisterized b/c it will help reducing how many you get. Good Luck!
    Ames826

Answer by Ames826 at 11:48 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Just like pizza or cookie dough, when your skin is dry it does not like to stretch and will have a tendency to crack. So the question is what can we do to keep our skin more malleable? This is where those environmental factors like sun, pollution and other nasties like smoke and stress come into effect.

So what can be done to prevent or reduce these little tears?

1.Limit time in the sun
    The sun will dry up moisture very quickly so limit exposure times, but a little sun can be healthy for everybody. Also, natural UV protection is best. (See below.) There have been some studies that warn women who are pregnant to be wary of artificial UV protection.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:52 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Hydration
    Ok, we all knew this one but if everybody talks about it, it must be important. It does actually make sense i.e. cookie dough. The most common recommendation is the 8X8 rule or about 8 glasses a day. However, there is not a lot of science to back this one up. So, I guess we go back to common sense. If you're thirsty, drink more.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:53 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Moisturizers
    While it is true that moisturizers do not make it into the second level of the skin or dermis, they do help to keep the dermis stay moist by creating an effective barrier and slowing evaporation. Most good moisturizers also have UV protectors as well. All products are NOT created equal, so try to use products that contain ingredients that are proven to be good for your skin i.e. olive oil, shea butter (a natural UV protector) avocado oil and vitamin E. Look for products that absorb well into your skin. If it's too sticky or greasy it may not be absorbing well or worse – it may block pores. Be consistent, as this is something that you need to do at least twice a day, so find the right product for you. Smell it, feel it and make sure you can afford it.
    Anonymous