what's the worst sunburn you have ever seen?

Was thinking of this.
My brother went on a weekend canoe trip with his friends when he was 18. He forgot his sunblock but didn't think much of it even though he got burned. That night he started to get a fever and was shivering and sweating. He was so weak his friends decided to call the trip short and carted him out of the woods in the canoe (they pretty much had to carry him most of the way). They rushed him to the nearest ER (they were in another state) where they found out my brother was suffering from sun poisoning and 2nd and 3rd degree burns on his arms and shoulders. He was a mess.
He came home bandaged and in a lot of pain. I have never seen a worse burn in my life. He had blisters that were 5" across all over his arms and couldn't move. He learned a valuable lesson...always remember the sunblock.

justanotherjen

Asked by justanotherjen at 11:26 AM on Jul. 16, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I had nearly the same thing happen to me when I was 10 years old. Sunblock was not on the radar 40 years ago, and I went camping with my aunt, uncle and cousins. We kids rode all day in the back of the open pickup. (That was perfectly legal too, back then.) My cousins are dark-eyed, olive-skinned brunettes and were perfectly fine. I on the other hand was a little pale-skinned, blue-eyed redhead. When we stopped for the night I was a mess. I can remember hearing snatches of my aunt saying they ought to take me to the hospital, but my uncle disagreed. I was blistered over every inch of skin that hadn't been covered by a sleeveless top and pair of shorts. Mercifully I don't remember too much, but my poor aunt had to explain to my mom what had happened to me! And no, I didn't even get a tan from that-it mostly peeled off.

pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 12:04 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Dang my nephew just had to be taken to the hospital for a blistering sunburn too! He went fishing. I don't know who he was with that they didn't remind him to put sunblock or maybe they forgot it too but that's really bad!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:44 AM on Jul. 16, 2009

• I was 16 and thought the best way to get a tan was to spend all day under the sun without protection. I had blistering sunburn, couldn't move for a week. Not sure how bad it was, my mom never took me to the Dr. It took all summer for the blisters to heal though and now 23 yrs later my skin looks old and dried out.
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 12:33 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• My friend in high school did this. Had to cut spring break short. Spent a day waiting for a flight while she was wrapped in a sheet, puking her guts up. Blisters all over. I am sorry but at this age...are people new here? Welcome to earth...we have a sun...it will burn your skin if you go out in it for even short periods of time without sun block. Sheece!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 3:10 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• My poor son actually got this one spot of really bad sunburn once. He was probably 2 and we were outside on a really hot, sunny day. I will admit a lot of times I forget the sunblock but this time I had actually put it on the kids so didn't think anything of the sun. Then that night they were getting washed up for bed and I noticed something on his shoulder. When I looked close he had this one spot about 2" long by 1" wide that was bright red and starting to blister. You could actually make out the shape of finger tips all around it. Everywhere but that one spot got sunblock. And boy did it get burnt. I was so glad I remembered the sunblock or their whole bodies would have looked like that.
    It was so bad it broke open and he had a scar on his shoulder for years because of that one burn. He's almost 8 now so doesn't remember it and the scar is gone.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 3:55 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• My brother was at the beach all day I guess without sunblock. He got what looked like pockets of water on his arms because he was burned so badly. I guess they were giant blisters. It was so nasty. I'm pretty sure they took him to the ER. I don't really remember the outcome, but I'll never forget how weird that looked.
    flowrchild77

Answer by flowrchild77 at 4:16 PM on Jul. 16, 2009