Was thinking of this.
My brother went on a weekend canoe trip with his friends when he was 18. He forgot his sunblock but didn't think much of it even though he got burned. That night he started to get a fever and was shivering and sweating. He was so weak his friends decided to call the trip short and carted him out of the woods in the canoe (they pretty much had to carry him most of the way). They rushed him to the nearest ER (they were in another state) where they found out my brother was suffering from sun poisoning and 2nd and 3rd degree burns on his arms and shoulders. He was a mess.
He came home bandaged and in a lot of pain. I have never seen a worse burn in my life. He had blisters that were 5" across all over his arms and couldn't move. He learned a valuable lesson...always remember the sunblock.
I had nearly the same thing happen to me when I was 10 years old. Sunblock was not on the radar 40 years ago, and I went camping with my aunt, uncle and cousins. We kids rode all day in the back of the open pickup. (That was perfectly legal too, back then.) My cousins are dark-eyed, olive-skinned brunettes and were perfectly fine. I on the other hand was a little pale-skinned, blue-eyed redhead. When we stopped for the night I was a mess. I can remember hearing snatches of my aunt saying they ought to take me to the hospital, but my uncle disagreed. I was blistered over every inch of skin that hadn't been covered by a sleeveless top and pair of shorts. Mercifully I don't remember too much, but my poor aunt had to explain to my mom what had happened to me! And no, I didn't even get a tan from that-it mostly peeled off.
Answer by pagan_mama at 12:04 PM on Jul. 16, 2009
Answer by Anonymous at 11:44 AM on Jul. 16, 2009
Answer by wheresthewayout at 12:33 PM on Jul. 16, 2009
Answer by salexander at 3:10 PM on Jul. 16, 2009
Answer by justanotherjen at 3:55 PM on Jul. 16, 2009
Answer by flowrchild77 at 4:16 PM on Jul. 16, 2009