i just want to be awesome

ok, so, i want pretty badly to give birth with no medication. my doctor and nurse think i am insane but i want to do it to prove to myself that i am not a weakling. it is kind of part of my reputation.

but i am NOT hard-headed enough to go for a long period of time in agonizing pain. i think i could do 8 hours. i have been walking miles every day, using a birthing ball instead of sitting in chairs, doing yoga, and stretches. is there anything else someone would reccomend that MIGHT make labor easier so that i might have a chance to do this?

if i can't do this then it is like i am conceeding to my parents and peers that i am not ready for this- and i AM. i completely understand that nothing happens as planned when it comes to labor and birth (both my husband and i are shining examples) but i rather try and fail than not try at all!!

spazlilsister

Asked by spazlilsister at 12:11 PM on Jul. 16, 2009 in Pregnancy

• i had my baby with no meds. trust me: it hurts.

don't be stressed-- if you're stressed, then so is the baby, and the muscles get tense, which COULD make the labor harder.

Is this your first child? if so, the labor is usually longer than it would be with a second or third. labors are usually pretty long-- eight hours is kind of a minimum.

if you want to take pain meds when in labor, then take them. no one will say that you're weak since you had them. put someone else through that painand they will understand how much it hurts
    Anonymous

• If your Dr. and Nurse think you are insane for not wanting pain meds - you need to find another Dr.
    Kristen1010

Answer by Kristen1010 at 12:31 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• My first labor was 5 hrs 40 minutes and I was only given IV meds. Honestly I can say when you are in labor, just focus on your body and nothing else. React to what your body is telling you to do. I told the nurse when I was ready to push, she didn't believe me, and I told her she had better get the doctor because it was time. He came in and sure enough it was time and they were rushing around because they were not ready yet! The nurses hated that I closed my eyes to focus because they thought I was "internalizing" the pain but that is just the way I am when I am in pain. Do what you need to do at the time and if it gets to be too much, there are many options besides the epidural to take the edge off. If your doctor is not open to discuss these options, I would inform him you will be finding another doctor. It is your birth experience, not his!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 12:37 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• No meds?! Good luck. My cousin tried that and right when she asked for the meds they said they couldn't give it to her because it was already too late so she got what she wanted: painful experience ever and with her 2nd and 3rd she made it very clear that as soon as she gets any pain, she wants that beautiful epidural right away! She actually says she was stupid for making it an exhausting and painful experience and with her other two it was an exciting and emotional experience. In my opinion, f*** being valient, I want to have a wonderful birth. I dont need to show anyone I can be strong or hard. In the end your ever-reminding pain won't matter, what matters is how you raise your child and how they will be when they grow up. No one will look at your 10 year old and say, "Wow, can't believe you had him with no meds." They will say "Wow, can't believe he's so smart and thinking about college" or "Can't believe he's so dumb". :)
    Shamerika

Answer by Shamerika at 12:44 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Good Luck hun. I had both my kids with no meds. I agree with you on the if it were longer i probably would have gotten something, its Very painful. Both my L&D were about 5-8 hours. So i'd say about the last 2 hours was almost unbearable (very painful). I just kept my mind on ":this is it", soon you will see your beautiful baby. Its wonderful. Also without the meds, i was able to get right up and go outside ( after like 20 min. because the doctors thought i was nuts and needed rest) and get some fresh air.
    Iluvmygirlies42

Answer by Iluvmygirlies42 at 12:55 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• I would like to second Shamerika's opinion. I've heard too many stories about moms who wanted to go natural, decided they couldn't hold out any longer, and it was already too late. I've had 2 inductions, and I had epidurals with both. I always hold out till im a 5 or 6 and ask for it. I find that just giving birth itself, even with pain meds is exhausting, and really intense. If you want to hang on as long as you can, talk to your Dr about it. Let them know that you want to be informed when that "too late" mark will be, so you're not stuck in a painful situation you don't want to be in!

Good luck on your delivery! You've got your head together and I'm sure you'll do great!
    mmmommy0207

Answer by mmmommy0207 at 12:58 PM on Jul. 16, 2009