Can a blood clot in the uterus during pregnancy be fatal?

My doctor just informed me that the small blood clot he saw on the ultrasound two weeks ago has gotten bigger instead of going away like he originally thought. I'm concerned for the safety of my baby and myself. I am 9 weeks pregnant.

Lucaberry

Asked by Lucaberry at 12:20 PM on Jul. 16, 2009 in Health

• Any blood clot can be deadly. Didn't he explain this to you? You need to talk to your Dr. Make him understand you want all the facts. Don't just listen to what he says and go home. do research and ask questions.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 12:29 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Blood clots during pregnancy could be fatal to you or the baby. I can't believe your doctor isn't taking it seriously.
    Anonymous

• What you are describing sounds like the same think I have.

When your doctor first says the words "subchorionic hematoma," your first response might be to panic -- perhaps even more so if you hear the scarier sounding version "subchorionic hemorrhage." (The two are synonyms.) But although finding out you have a subchorionic hematoma is not great news, it doesn't always mean you're destined for an unhappy outcome -- and many pregnancies affected by subchorionic hematoma turn out fine. Here's what you need to know.

What a Subchorionic Hematoma Is:
    A subchorionic hematoma is a type of blood clot found between the pregnancy membranes and the wall of the uterus. This occurs in just over 1% of pregnancies, and it appears that the bleeding occurs when small parts of the pregnancy membranes separate from the uterus. There is no evidence that this happens because of anything the mother did; doctors don't really know
    prkforestmom

Answer by prkforestmom at 3:00 PM on Sep. 14, 2009