how do i get my daughter of age three to pick up after her toys and have fun

my daughter is age three and almost four she drags out every toy she owns and i can't keep up with her how do i get her to pick up her own little messes

amanda_brayman

Asked by amanda_brayman at 2:45 PM on Jun. 22, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Well if she's old enough to take them out, then she's old enough to put them away. My suggestion would be that if she doesn't put them away then Mommy starts taking them away. When they start disappearing she'll get the message!! When she asks where they are tell her she has to be more responsible and put her toys away and until she can, she won't get them back.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 2:54 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• I agree with ^^^^^^ I have a 3y/o she will be 4 in Nov. and we had to do this to her and now she will put a toy up be for she gets another one out.
    Mustang_Momma

Answer by Mustang_Momma at 3:23 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• i use to play what i call the pick up or clean up game with my kids when they was little, just acting silly i could get more done with them picking up there toys.
    debdon

Answer by debdon at 5:18 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• my son learned a song at preschool that really helped...i helped him and we raced to get the mess clean before the end of the song...it went "cleanup cleanup everybody everywhere, cleanup cleanup everybody do your share...." that's all i really remember!
    LoriaAnn

Answer by LoriaAnn at 5:39 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• We are dealing with the same thing with my 4 yr old. We have been acting like we throw them away, and then we put them in the closet for a few weeks till she has forgetting about them. She does not like the idea of her toys being put in the garbage, so so far she is doing better about picking them up. Hope this helps!!
    redtang912

Answer by redtang912 at 8:38 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• We also play the clean up race game. We see who can pick up the most (lets say we had legos out) and they get a prize. It's a jelly bean or an m & m or something little. Other times we do it during a commercial and she doesn't get to watch the next part if she didn't pick up the items I asked her to (such as shoes to cubby or clothes in washer). I have also taken her things away (she has way to many dolls). Since she would have them all over her floor & never put them in the cradle and baby pack & play, I told her I guess she had too many since she didn't follow my instructions to pick them up. I took them all away (in my closet which is locked) and she only has 2 babies. now she cleans up her 2 with no problem. All of these things have worked & I just pick the strategy that I think will work best at the time.
    bookrdr

Answer by bookrdr at 11:18 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• My husband threaetens to throw evrything away if he trips on something one more time. We have had SOME success with it. Most times she will do it. I threaten to not let her go somewhere she really wants to go things like that.
    momto1727

Answer by momto1727 at 1:10 PM on Jul. 7, 2008