Should I make my daughter go to counseling?

My husband died two years ago in an accident where a young man was driving to fast and lost control of his vehicle hitting my husband head-on! I have three daughters who have dealt with his death in very different ways, which is expected, but one of them doesn't really deal, she chooses to avoid the whole thing, no conversations are made by her, she doesn't even like to hear others speak of his death. I know she needs counseling and I've mentioned it to her many times, and she refuses, I want her to be ready to talk before forcing counseling on her, so my question is... should I wait til she is ready, or should I tell her it is necessary for her well being?

Loulou069

Asked by Loulou069 at 12:24 PM on Jul. 16, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• My mom made me go to counseling in high school because I was having a really hard time with friends/relationships etc. I was really against it but she made me go. I think it helped alot. I could tell my counselor things that I couldn't talk to my mom about. She made me feel really comfortable and helped me work through some of my issues. In the end I was happy that my mom made me go. I think you should make your daughter go to counseling. The longer she avoids the issues, the harder and more time it is going to take to fix them.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 12:29 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Not wanting to go to for counseling is part of the not wanting to talk about it problem. Make her go. She may not like it now but it will help her in the long run.
    jaybird110

Answer by jaybird110 at 12:45 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• I would go as a family first and then have the counselor ask to speak to each child alone. YOu can always then keep taking the daughter that is having the most trouble dealing with it. She really does need to talk to someone to help her through this terrible time or she will never get over it.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 3:13 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• I would make her go. But she could do the same thing that i did when i was forced to go to counceling by my mom 2 years after i was raped. I just sat there and stared at the counceler for an hour because i didnt want to talk about it. At the time i didnt want anyone to know and i was pissed that my mom told the counceler what had happend for me to be there.
    Anonymous