Is there any excuse for this?

Is this woman selfish??

A Spanish woman who gave birth to twins when she was 67 has died, leaving her two young boys orphaned just two-and-a-half years after becoming the world's oldest mother.

Carmen Bousada, who lied about her age to receive donor eggs and sperm in the U.S., died this week at age 69 after from cancer. It is not clear who will raise her 2-year-old sons, Cristian and Pau.

In an interview with Spanish television in December 2007, shortly after she was diagnosed with cancer, she said family members could care for them if she died.

"I have a nephew, and their godfather is very good with the children. They are not going to be alone," she said at the time.

Bousada gave birth on December 26, 2006, at a hospital in Barcelona after being artificially inseminated at a fertility clinic in Los Angeles.

I can't think of any reason this would be OK. Can you?

mmmommy0207

Asked by mmmommy0207 at 12:35 PM on Jul. 16, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• As an older woman, yes, she clearly entered motherhood less likely to see her children into adulthood. However, it is also true that a mother of any age could die at any time. Just saying.

I'm really torn on this. I think when we start to create stipulations on who can qualify for fertility treatments we launch down a pretty slippery slope. Who says who is too old to have a kid? How far back do you go? Do you start to review medical history to rule at someone with a chance of complications or premature death? Do you start to review financial qualifications? Do you start to limit how many children a family can have? Do you limit it to married couples of x years less likely to divorce? While some people (Octo-mom, this older woman) may make choices I think are questionable, I'm reluctant to say they should not have been allowed to pursue their own reproductive wishes because it opens a HUGE can of worms I don't think we want.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 1:37 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• This woman had a baby at 65? That is freakin ridiculous.
    Anonymous

• I think it is selfish. ANd you will probably get people who say ANYONE at ANY age can die of cancer.....and yes that is true, but a younger person would have stood a btter chance and cancer is only one issue. Those poor babies. SHe was only thinking about herself. Wonder if she wa on of those career women that take such pleasure in looking doe\wn on us SAHM's and then decides to try and havve a baby too late in life...........
    Anonymous

• I think too many people wait until the last minute to have kids and find out they cant. Maybe because they toke so much birth control over the many years and it messed them up. I think it is extremely selfish to wait so long because you want to enjoy your life. As far as money, you don't have to be rich to have children. I hear that excuse all the time. Oh i don't have a house, i don't have a late model mini van or SUV, I don't have a million dollars saved up. There is no set time for having children, you just have to jump in there. JMO
    Anonymous

• I think she missed her chance and that sucks. She should have never been inseminated. She must look fabulous for a doctor to believe she was.... wait, how old did she say she was?
    Anonymous

• I seen this at the bottom of CNN , of course they wont show it bc of that damn fla family ... but anyhoo -- wow! whole reason i dont agree w/ insemination! poor kids! i hope someone is going to take care of them!
    Anonymous

• I was reading about another lady aged 72 that was trying to get pregnant. I think she was wanting the title of world's oldest to give birth. I think it is terribly irresponsible, not just for the woman but also the medical people involved.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 1:22 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• What did you say when Larry King and Tony Randall had kids?

What do you say when a mom you know starts a pregnancy under the "geriatric mother" label. IN other words, she's 35 or older?

What do you say about large families?

What do you say about single mothers?

Are these people selfish too?

What's an unselfish reason to have a kid? You didn't have one at least in part to satisfy some need to reproduce that YOU have?
    Anonymous

• I think it is wrong and very selfish I am 36 and had a hard time getting my son here and I know I can never have anymore kiddos and can't belive someone would do that!!! WTF was she thinking??
    Korysmom96

Answer by Korysmom96 at 2:29 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• I don't understand her and logically, yes, I feel that it was selfish. There is yet a huge part of me that does not want to judge. I know that some women have an overwhelming desire to be a mother and to carry her own child. I can't fault her for that. It is unfortunate for the children that she didn't plan better than she did. I have to imagine that she suffered from some sort of mental break, and perhaps even convinced herself that she would live as long as she said her mother did.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 2:50 PM on Jul. 16, 2009