Spaghetti Sauce?

Im in the process of cooking dinner and was curious...Whats your fave kind of sauce?
Do you buy a particular brand or store brand?
Do you make your own?
If you buy a canned or jarred kind do you add extra seasoning or mushrooms or what not to it? If so what and how much?
How long do you cook it? Is it an all day thing or doyou heat the sauce for ten minutes and serve?
Just wondering how weird i am the way i do it according to dh is weird but maybe not?

elananme

Asked by elananme at 12:37 PM on Jul. 16, 2009 in Food & Drink

• I brown ground beef, cook it with chopped onion, and garlic. When that's sizzling, I add some wine and deglaze the pot. Sometimes I add chopped mushrooms and/or zuchinni. Then I just add any jarred sauce, whatever you like. I let it simmer for an hour or so.. and then add about 1/4-1/2 cup of parmesan cheese to it.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 12:48 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Depends. Recently, I had access to a bazillion beautiful organic tomatoes, so I made it from scratch completely.

Normally I doctor jarred sauce with some browned ground beef. Most of the jarred sauces don't need more than that. I most prefer my local store brand (H.E.B.) version of the classico sauces, but I'll buy classico with a coupon and I also very much like the Bertolli sauces.

I don't think I've ever used a jarred sauce just as-is unless it was like marinara for dipping cheese sticks into or something like that.
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 12:49 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Fr years I made my own sauce. I browned one pound of mild italian sausage with one medium chopped onion and 3-5 cloves of chopped garlic depending on size and taste. After that is browned and drained I would put it in my crock pot. Add i very large can crushed roma tomatoes one can tomato paste and two paste cans full of water. 2 tablespoons of italian seasoning, 1 tsp of anise, salt and pepper to taste. Stir and simmer on low from say 11 am -6pm. Add a bit more water if needed but as long as you aren't opening the lid too much it will be fine. Serve over your fav. pasta, top with shredded Parmesean, romano or mozzerella cheese.
    Nowdays though I rarely make my own. We personally can't stand sweet tomato sauces. My husband is very fond of the Classico Spicy red pepper jarred sauce. Not only is it not sweet it has a spicey bite to it.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 1:06 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• I make my own or buy Muir Glen

Answer by rkoloms at 2:39 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• I used to make my own but now I use jarred sauce (we prefer Prego), which I season to our taste. I sometimes brown some ground beef or sausage (drain the fat) to make meat sauce.
    bocamom62

Answer by bocamom62 at 3:28 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• I make my own. 1lb of ground beef, 1 packet of spaghetti seasoning(wal mart brand) and a small can of tomato sauce. All I do is brown the meat, drain, add the sauce and seasoning and simmer till the noodles are done. I love it!
    TiffanyReed

Answer by TiffanyReed at 3:30 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• i buy prego spaghetti sauce (like a 4 lb jar of it). then i brown 1lb of ground beef and add it to the sauce. i also add garlic powder and italian seasoning (sometimes parmesan cheese) to the sauce. i let it cook for 30 minutes to an hour. then i freeze it into containers, i usually get enough for 5 meals!
    austinsmama1106

Answer by austinsmama1106 at 5:43 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• I buy prego and add ground beef or sausage and mushrooms peppers olives onions..whatever i have in the fridge pretty much..
    yas_marie_87

Answer by yas_marie_87 at 6:23 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• We usually get whatever Costco carries in the big jars. Right now it is Prego. If I'm looking for a quick meal I use it as is. If I have the time and energy I fancy it up. I usually add ground turkey, mushrooms, onion, green pepper and zucchini (or whatever combination of those I have).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:48 AM on Jul. 17, 2009