Any advise on how to handle a 3 year girl

who constantly interupts adults when they are having conversations? I can not talk on the phone, eat dinner & so on with out my daughter seeking attention. I've tried to explain to her to wait her turn, say excuse me or just be patient but it is not working. She really struggles with solitude. Sometimes she can color by herself but that is it. Ignoring her seems plain cruel. Any ideas....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:46 PM on Jul. 16, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I have the same problem with my 5 year old...she talks from sun up to sun down and it may seem cruel, but it is the only thing that will work. If you acknowledge her and talk to her when she interrupts she will never learn that it's not okay.

Nicely, but frimly tell her "Mommy is busy talking to her friend right now...I will be off shortly and then we can talk. But you have to wait your turn" After that just ignore her. She will catch on and the interruptions will decrease...mine hasn't stopped entirely yet, but we're making progress.
    KaylasMiracle

Answer by KaylasMiracle at 12:50 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• I went throught that with my 3 year old and every time I she needed me when I was doning something else I would hold my fingure up and tell her just a minute momma will help you in a minute. I would continue what I was doing eventhouth she throw a BIG fit and then when I was done with what I was doing I would go to her like she waited nicely for me to get done with what I was doing and ask her what she wanted or needed. I also when she would and still does some not as much though is put a little vingure in her mouth and tell her we don't yell that is not needed. It seemed like a never ending process but it worked for me and trust me I have a VERY STUBBRON little girl.
    Tdaycare6678

Answer by Tdaycare6678 at 3:32 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Warn her before hand and see if there's anything she needs. I do this with my two year old. I tell her I am going to talk on the phone, would she like a snack or crayons. Taking a minute to show her that she's important seems to help. If you ignore her and she yells, you can't punish her. How does she know you hear her? You aren't answering - to her, she's just got to talk louder. If you acknowledge that you hear her, that she must wait, AND she's been told beforehand, she's likely to accept it since it's not a surprise. I would never put vinegar in my child's mouth, either.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 4:56 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• but what do you do when when they refuse to stop screaming at you every time your on the phone and you've tried the whole do things before you get on the phone and it still isint helping??
    Raveneyes

Answer by Raveneyes at 10:48 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• my daughter was the same way! she would always interupt & not say excuse me. So I would wait until she was talking to someone...her brother, grandpa, whomever & interupt her & talk over her. She got soooo upset & would be like "Mommy!!! I'm talking!!" I said awwwww that's too bad guess you know how it feels now don't u? She's been doing it less & says excuse me when she wants to talk. she's slowly getting there.
    jfblaine

Answer by jfblaine at 3:50 PM on Jul. 25, 2009