What to do with a very small kids room

We are making the switch from crib to twin bed this summer for my two year old son so we're going to paint and redecorate the room while making the switch. The room is so small (about 10x10 or so) and I was wondering if anyone has any tips for decorating such a small room to give him more space and to make the room look bigger.

Momincollege23

Asked by Momincollege23 at 12:57 PM on Jul. 16, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Use lighter colors on the wall. This helps make it feel larger. Also, you can replace the closet doors with the mirrored kind, which gives the illusion of a much more spacious room. This also helps reflect natural light. Get rid of the furniture you don't absolutely need and keep it simple. Good luck!
    dawpea

Answer by dawpea at 1:02 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Dont paint it a dark color use bright or nuetral colors. Use shelves to help eliminate floor space such as books or toys that arent for his age yet. Have an appr. size dresser sometimes you can find low dressers for pretty cheap.It make look bigger if you put the bed along the wall too.
    mpoohdinky04

Answer by mpoohdinky04 at 1:03 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• When my daughter had a teeny room, we had a big steamer trunk that doubled as a closet and dresser.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:36 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• my bil had a great idea when his girls were small. he built a decorative shelf that went from the top of the window frames all around the room. and all the junk and extra stuff got put up there and he put wooden pegs underneath the shelf on the supports that lied against the wall. the girls hung everything on those pegs all the way through highschool.
    he also used decking footers that were painted the color of the carpet and lifted the beds about 8 inches and that left alot of room under the bed for lots of stuff.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 2:43 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Before anything put it all down on paper..where do you want the bed? Where is the clothes going to be at? Then organize it by buying furnitures that doubles has other things...small foot stools now can be open from the top to hold toys or laundry. Under the bed some have drawers already under them. Or buy rubbermaid that are flat to store winter clothes under the bed..label so you know what is in it. Over the door shoe rack that is plastic can hold toys, hair ties, or certain pieces of clothing. They also have night stands that slides between the boards on the side rail and lights that clips on the bed. Neat thing is they come in all different colors. Look around and you'll find things that you will need for her room. But do keep the color light..light pinks and green would be best to make the room smaller.
    BrknWingAngel

Answer by BrknWingAngel at 1:26 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• I'd go with a Captains Bed (built in drawers under bed), and a large storage headboard with lots of cubbies. I'd also install a closet organizer--young children have small sized clothing, so you can make 2 or 3 racks for hanging clothes instead of using a bulky dresser. These are the things we have done in my younger son's room.

Add lots of shelves--screwed securely into the wall studs for books, toys, stuffed animals, etc. Oh, and I'd paint the room either a soft/warm white or pale blue, and add a colorful boarder about 4 feet/halfway up the walls, and related themed wall clings in whatever theme you decide!

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 12:53 PM on Jul. 17, 2009