I need opinions please...

My daughter is 6 wks old, and is eating 4 oz. every 2 hours. If I give her more she will either spit up alot, or just won't take more. She has only taken 4 1/2 oz once w/ out spitting up, but was still screaming 2 hours later for another bottle. At night time s he is waking anywhere from 2-4 hours for a bottle. I am curious as to if she is getting over fed?

My other question is re: bottles. I have recently been using these parents choice bottles, but have notice that as she is sucking on the nipple, the nipple completely flatens and I have to pull the bottle out of her mouth during feedings. Does this mean that she is getting to much air, and could it give her more gas than another bottle w/ a nipple that doesn't flatten out?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:07 PM on Jul. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• She's going through a growth spurt, not much you can do except just feed on demand. Some people will try and space out feedings so they take more, but I couldn't ever bring myself to hold off on feeding lol. As far as bottle nipples, I just used regular bottles and silicone nipples, they worked the best. I never did buy into any of those fancy bottles, never made a difference. And as far as gas, you can get Mylicon drops, they are for baby's and are safe. You can give some before or after her feedings to help with Gas.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 1:13 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Spitting up is the only way I know of to tell if a baby is getting overfed. So if she's not spitting up, then she's probably fine; she might be going through a growth spurt. And flattening the bottle nipple sounds like she may be ready for a medium flow nipple instead of slow flow. Nipple flow that's too slow or too fast can cause too much air intake and gas problems. So try switching the nipple and see if that helps. It might help with the eating problem, too.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 1:16 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• My LO is 4 months old and drinks 4 oz. evey 2-3 hours. She may have a belly ache. Do you use a binky? My favorite bottles are the playtex nursers. Good luck.
    Anonymous

• The nipples that I'm using are the medium flow, the slow flow would take us almost a half hour or more, and then it just seemed like as soon as we were done feeding she need another bottle. she doesn't take the binky too much, she will spit it out most of the time. I am just so confused w/ this its making me crazy!
    Anonymous

• As far as the nipple going flat, you need to get a bottle that is vented, like the AVENT ones or something that states it is vented, because what is happening is she is creating a vacume inside her bottle because there is no air flow. Kinda like if you drink a water bottle without letting any air in and it goes flat, ya know?

And as far as the eating, remember that her belly is tiny! So she is eating as much as she can, and she is going to eat often like she is until she gets a little older and her belly can hold more for a longer period of time.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 1:53 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• My son took a long long time to eat more than 2 oz at a time and he ate what I felt like all day - still woke up 3-4 times a night at this age too - in fact, my son NEVER ate more than an 8 oz bottle and that was at 12 months old - I just think some babies don't over eat. I only knew my son was full when he just refused to eat more - the nipples for my bottles did the same thing - it was so irritating! I never figured out why it happened though! I would try to switch bottles maybe. That's too hard to deal with for the rest of the feeding you have to do!~
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:57 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Born Free bottles are pretty good. and I think if she doesn't spit up then she is fine. at that age my son would take a bottle every 2-3 hrs.
    mommylovesu28

Answer by mommylovesu28 at 2:18 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• I wouldnt worry about her eating that much. My DD was eating like that until she was 5mos old! She has been on a constant growth spurt. If youre worried about gas you could try the drop in bottles. I love them because I can push all the air out. I switched when my DD was 4mos old and they really make a difference. Gas drops can be great but sometimes help out AFTER the baby has gas. Good luck =]
    MommyFlood

Answer by MommyFlood at 2:35 PM on Jul. 16, 2009