Someone please tell me why my 9 yr. old girl is obsessed with boys !!!

Yesterday when I went to pick up my daughter from the boys & girls club, her camp counselor tells me she needs to speak to me. She starts telling me how she caught my daughter alone in the cafeteria with 2 boys! My daughter claims she was only in there trying hide from a boy (steven) who wouldn't leave her alone. She also said the other boy was there b/c she asked him to help her get steven to leave her alone. So I asked to speak to one of the boys so the counselor went & got him. I asked him what he was doing w/my daughter & he told me exactly the same story my daughter did. I'm just mad that she put herself in that situation. That's issue #1. The counselor then tells me that my daughter is constantly straying away from her group (6-9 yr olds) to tag along with the older girls (10-13 yr olds) UGH!! Boys are constantly following her around & she seems to love the attention. I talk to her about growing up too fast but it doesnt

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:20 PM on Jul. 16, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• She's boy crazy, it happens. I wouldnt' worry about it at this age. Make sure there are consequences for when she doesn't follow instructions but that's about all you can do
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 1:22 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• seem to sink into her brain or something. I talk to her constanley about boys & that she is too young & she has plenty of time to have a boyfriend when she is old enough. So why is she doing this!?! This girl is only 9 yrs old, my god what will she be trying to do when she's 11, 12 or 13?? I'm scared, i'll admit it. Am I making too big a deal out of this? It just doesn't seem like normal 9 yr old behavior. No bashing, please. I just don't know what to do with her.
    Anonymous

• I think she's totally normal. I remember being boy-crazy at that age, and so were all of my friends. I remember it driving my mom nuts, lol.
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 1:24 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• ((OP))
    My concern is that she's trying to grow up way too fast. The whole boy crazy thing wouldn't bother me so much if she was interested in hanging out with girls her own age, but she doesn't. She wants to be around the older girls. My daughter is already starting to develop physically. And I'm pretty sure she will be starting her period within the next yr. I wish I could put a leash on her or something. I'm just not used to this kind of behavior. She's my oldest & I'm parenting her without any prior experience. But it's clear that girls these days are alot faster than girl when I was her age. Im not old (i'm 25) but I damn sure wasn't obsessed with boys when I was 9 yrs. old!! I want to scream everytime I think about her behavior..
    Anonymous

• Personally I think it's normal, she's 9, puberty is just around the corner and you can talk till you are blue in the face. Best you can do is keep reinforcing to be respectfull of her body and person. I was very boy crazy from birth, so is my daughter lol
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 1:33 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• I was always more mature than the girls my age so I naturally hung out with older girls.. I was also "boy crazy" (as you call it) at her age, It's perfectly normal. Instead of trying to make her feel guilty for the way she is acting and the things she is doing like they are wrong you need to reinforce that it's normal however also teach her that she needs to set boundaries as to what she does.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 1:41 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Just don't over react. Tell her what's up and that attention is good but tell her the difference between friend attention and boy wanting to use her attention. Teach her self respect and build her self esteem bc if you don't then the boys will teach her what they want her to know.

Answer by admckenzie at 5:01 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• When i was her age i was the same way. Most of my girl friends were older than me and i went boy crazy. But that dosnt mean that she is doing anything with them. Make sure you keep talking to her about it but dont make her think that its a bad thing because then she wont talk to you about it. Just be sure that she is able to stay open with you about whats going on. And have the adults keep an eye on her. Thats what they are there fo.
    Anonymous

• The answer to your question is hormones

Answer by rkoloms at 6:31 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• i was like that at her age, and sometimes the hanging out with older girls is because she may feel the kids her age are too immature. The older kids may be at the maturatiy level your daughter feels comfortable with, as for the boys, i don't know what to say there. It could be that she just likes hanging out with some not all of them. I perfered hanging with guys then i did girls, because i was a tomboy and most girls were to prissy for me, and i was developed at that age, i was already in bcup bra (couldn't tell i wore baggy shirts)
    vgiron

Answer by vgiron at 4:16 AM on Jul. 17, 2009