How do you deal with inlaws who don't like you?

My Mother in law and Sister in law are very controling....but I don't let them control me. My husband works with his mom.....and therefore he's with her 5-6 days a week. But she tries to carry it over into our personal life. There are frequent statements made out of earshot of my DH. I've come close to leaving him because of it (but I refuse to let them win!!!) If any of you are in this situation....how do you handle it without making DH angry?

NJPhotoMom

Asked by NJPhotoMom at 1:26 PM on Jul. 16, 2009 in Relationships

• Oh this is tough...
    But I just try honestly not to let it bother me. I am a good wife to my hubby and a good mom to our lo and that is all that matters, if they still don't like me that is their problem. They can continue to have bad feelings or thoughts but honestly I have enough going on in my life and no time to worry about what they think anymore. So that is what I do, as soon as the thoughts enter my mind of "I wish my in-laws liked me more" - I start thinking of something else and force the negative thoughts out! Sounds corny but it's true.
    Good luck you you!!!
    Anonymous

• Haha my Dh works with his mom too. Im in the exact situation you are! I ignore them. They are never invited into my home for any reason what so ever, and if for some reason they want us to go to their house Dh goes.. me and the kids dont. I say eff them!
    Anonymous

• lol. i ignore my husbands mom and sis, i only talk to them if neccessary. when im around them, i only say something if they ask a question. other than that, i dont say much to them. i dont care if i come off as treating them like dirt, cause what goes around, comes around. and i dont think i should respect someone who doesnt respect me. so i just keep things short and simple. and ive notcied they try to be friend when i do that. but im like...no thank you. lol
    kiliki_malie

Answer by kiliki_malie at 2:02 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• It really bugger me to deal with my MIL for a while, but I've gotten over it and now I just ignore her and her stupidity. She can be a truly horrible person, but luckily she pushed a little too far in the past and DH is wonderful and stood up for me, and told her to back off. He has stood up to her many many times now, and goes out of his way to makes sure that she doesn't mess with me. She still tries of course, but like I said, I ignore it and let him deal with it. I don't know what to tell you since your DH hasn't witnessed this yet. Do you talk to him about how you feel? Be truthful and let him know it hurts you. My DH didn't believe me the first time and it caused are first real fight... he caught on quickly though and still feels bad for how he reacted that time.
    nattabugsmommy

Answer by nattabugsmommy at 3:59 PM on Jul. 16, 2009