Should we let our 2nd and 1st grader walk to school???

We live about 2 blocks from the school, but I am still unsure. Lots of kids in our area walk...... so they wouldn't really be "alone".My mom feels its ok if we get the oldest a cell phone. <<< A whole other can of worms!!!What do ya'll think!!!

proofmom

Asked by proofmom at 1:30 PM on Jul. 16, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Personally if they were my children...I wouldn't. I have the mentality that this world is a horrible place filled with horrible people who want to do horrible things though so my opinion might be bias.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 1:33 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• uh, no.... i live maybe a block from the school & would never let my daughter walk (she's only 3 but still), the ppl around here drive so crazy, one kid was already hit by a car
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 1:34 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• With that short of a distance, I would let them. My oldest is going into the 3rd grade this year, and I had a hard time with him wanting to walk home from school last year - its nearly a mile away. With that distance, definitely not.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 1:35 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• I wouldnt. They need to be supervised, also you never know what weirdos are around! I wouldnt take any chances.
    stickyfingers

Answer by stickyfingers at 1:35 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• can u sse the school? i gave mine a route they could take. i also. have a friend that lives a block away from school. my kids have to call me from there.. some schools. have a age that can and can walk to school.. i think mine was 3rd grade. before i let hem walk to school. i also showed him a route he could take... and if they went off the path then he went back to riding school bus. as for a cell phone.. thats just up to you we started out with walkie talkies first. but i live in a small town 800...
    twistedcandy

Answer by twistedcandy at 1:36 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• I wouldn't if they were mine. My Husband and I agreed they won't walk until their in junior high and even then I will probably drive. Is there a reason you can't walk with them...work??
    mommymine3

Answer by mommymine3 at 1:45 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• I wouldn't personally. If they wanted to walk with the rest of the kids, i would be right behind them.
    Iluvmygirlies42

Answer by Iluvmygirlies42 at 1:46 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• I wouldn't. I hear about older kids, like 10-14 years old, being kidknapped and it scares the heck outta me! I'd rather be called over-protective then risk the chance of someone snatching one of mine. jmo
    Anonymous

• most schools won't allow kids to carry cells. I would walk with them for a while and see what's up. Then when i felt comfortable with it I'd walk a distance behind them and make sure they got there ok. See if they can hook up with neighbor kids and walk in groups. A lot can happen to kids in 2 blocks.

Answer by admckenzie at 2:40 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• If it's only 2 blocks I would let them. Maybe start by walking them to the school every day and reminding them each day how to cross the street, not to talk to suspicious people, never get in a car, where you can go to get help, etc. Then after awhile only walk them half way and watch them from there to see if they get inside. After awhile only walk a little ways with them, etc. Until they can do it on their own.
    Kids are much more capable then most people give them credit for. Generations of kids have been walking to and from school and without cell phones. I let my kids walk home from school. It's about 3 1/2 blocks and they were in kindergarten, 1st and 3rd grades. I still had to get them from school but then they were off on their own.
    This year I might walk them half way to school and let them go the rest of the way. My biggest worry is traffic around the school...too many people driving their kids.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 3:46 PM on Jul. 16, 2009