my daughter is clingy

my daughter will be 2 in september, and we recently finished traveling, she then was sick for a week. and now a week later, she is extremly clingy. i know nothing bad has happened to her because i dont let anyone watch my kids. and we've lived in this house for about 3 months now. so its not that new here for her.

but she is sooooo clingy, she wont sleep unless im right next to her, she will scream her head off. she has to eat next to me, she always wants to shower with me, she wont do anything with anyone else, but ME. she wont go to anyone.

i heard of seperation anxiety, but at this age? could that be it? is there anything i can do to make her feel at ease when im not in the same room with her?

shes had this before when she was younger, but nowhere was it this bad. any helpful tips or advice or info on this would be REALLY appreciated. lol i cant clean or anything without her being attached to me.

kiliki_malie

Asked by kiliki_malie at 1:38 PM on Jul. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Separation anxiety happens at this age, the fact that you haven't let anybody every watch her could be a big part of the problem. By giving in to her you are reinforcing that behavior. My daughter was the same way, drove me banana's. But I didn't reinforce it. I would leave her with friends or hubby, I wouldnt' make an issue out of it, I would just do it, she learned that I always came back, then she became little miss independant lol
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 1:53 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• It might be the result of the illness. If it was her first major illness (that she can remember) it might have seemed frightening to feel that badly & you were her only comfort. If so it will probably ease up in a few weeks when the memory of being sick fades. If she is still super clingy after a few weeks you can try a few tricks like giving her an old tee-shirt of yours to hold while you are out of the room or record yourself telling stories for her to listen to.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 1:46 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• coming to think of it, it was the first time shes been that sick. she had pnemonia and she was so sick that all she did was sleep. thats all she wanted to do. at the time, she didnt even want me to hold her..she just wanted to be left alone her temp was 104 once....
    she didnt play, watch tv, nothing.

thank you
    kiliki_malie

Answer by kiliki_malie at 1:52 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• aww. that is so cute. she used to be like that...but not anymore... lol
    kiliki_malie

Answer by kiliki_malie at 1:54 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• I dont' know which was worse, uber clingy or uber independant, both had me pulling my hair out and reaching for the bottle of Jager in my freezer lol. This too shall pass hun. My daughter is now 10 and is amazing to be around, well most days lol
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 2:00 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• yea..people do come around my kids...but after reading about pedophiles, and all that crap, i just think its better off only me watching them. i just dont trust people easily when it comes to my babies....lol
    ms independent is cute. i would go through that any day, but this. lol she screamed her head off at the dentist today....=(
    kiliki_malie

Answer by kiliki_malie at 2:05 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• I've been lucky, I've never had trust issues with my kids. We've always had a good circle of friends and grandparents close by to watch the kids when need be. But I totally understand the clingy thing, it drove me NUTS
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 2:09 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• my dd went through this "mommy do it" phase at this age, it's very common. it might seem like forever but it will most likely pass. maybe if you got a little extra money you could try getting her a couple new toys for her room, i did this with my dd and she spends a little more time in her room and a little less time up my butt.lol. she's still kind of clingy but she's comming out of it (she's almost three) good luck :)
    lilysmommy23

Answer by lilysmommy23 at 2:55 PM on Jul. 16, 2009