How ong afer your due date would you go before being induced??

I am due in 5days dr only wants me to go 1wk pass...what do you think is that safe?

jillbe

Asked by jillbe at 1:39 PM on Jul. 16, 2009 in Pregnancy

• why wouldn't it be safe? the baby is completely developed.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 1:40 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• my doctor won't let me go past so idk....
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 1:40 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• sorry I cant type today..LOL, I meant how long after....
    jillbe

Answer by jillbe at 1:40 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• I guess I meant is it safe to let baby stay in there so long....
    jillbe

Answer by jillbe at 1:41 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• I think most doctors usually give the baby 1 extra week and then they will induce. Due dates are only an estimate so that is why they say + or - 7 days. The only reason the want to get those babys out if they've passed their due dates is because they don't want them getting too big to be able to vaginally deliver and because the vernix (the white stuff covering their skin) can start to wear off and dry out the baby's skin. Going a week over is pretty normal. I personally wouldn't want to go anymore than that though.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 1:46 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• A lot of doctors don't even start to get concerned until you go past 42 weeks. Some women go much further past that (with monitoring to make sure that the placenta is still functioning...) I went to 41 weeks 2 days with my oldest and went into labor naturally.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 1:46 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Due dates are plus or minus 2 WEEKS.  Your doctor is not well trained and you will probably get a c-section if you don't find a better one. It is perfectly normal to go past your due date. NO additional risk at 42 weeks. In one of the European countries they don't get excited until you get to 43 weeks.

And to answer your original question I would NEVER be induced, because I've had a previous c-section and that can cause uterine rupture. Did you read the recent journal on maternal mortality? We have lost a lot of ground here in the USA over the last 20 years. Our death rate among mothers has been rising since induction has become so popular.

Anonymous

• Since normal human gestation is 38-42 weeks i would not even consider induction before hitting 43 weeks. And even then i would only induce if there are signs that there are problems with the baby.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 2:25 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• I agree with Cynthje, barring medical emergencies, I wouldn't consider getting induced until about 43 weeks. Sometimes that baby needs to be in there longer and the 40 week pregnancy is only an estimate, not a set time period. Some women go over every time, others do not. So I would wait, it's normal for a woman to go 41 weeks or even longer.
    YzmaRocks

Answer by YzmaRocks at 3:52 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• This is so sad. There was a woman on here once who wrote a post in nc about how she was refusing to get induced at 42 weeks because she knew her baby would come on his own. He died inside her a few days later. Sooo sad! :( I wouldn't go more then a week. My doctor is talking about inducing me a week early because I was late with my son and he was very big.
    thisloveofmine

Answer by thisloveofmine at 4:42 PM on Jul. 16, 2009