My son doesnt go outside...

So, my son would rather sit inside all day and watch tv and/or play video games all day. I have control of the tv so I turn it off when I think he has had enough, but I want him to go outside and run around and play with the dog or go read a book or something, but he tells me that is too boring... What should I do? How do I get him more interested in going outside?

danichaos

Asked by danichaos at 2:00 PM on Jul. 16, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• MY son is 5 also, he loves tv and video games as much as the next kid, but... Loves outside too. Just make sure you get him something exciting that is "an outside toy only"
    I have a friend who only let her kiddos play with play-dough outside, another who says popcicles are outside only. Plus, the dollar store store has tons of toys for outside. Get bubbles, chalk, ball, sprinklers, kite, shovel or a bug cage with magnifing glass. Every other day break out a new one to spark his intrest.
    GL
    Anonymous

• Just like you said. You have control over the TV. You are the parent.
    I would limit his game playing to an hour a day & cartoons to an hour as well.
    Kids need fresh air for their development.
    It's boring to him, because he knows he'd rather be inside watching TV or playing a video game.
    Take the option away & he'll figure out something fun to do.

Does he have a playmate/siblings?

Good luck.
    Mminmin

Answer by Mminmin at 2:24 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• I remember my mom used to make me go outside when I was around 5-6 and I hated it. I didn't wanna be outside by myself. Maybe go outside with him or take him to a park where there may be other kids. I know its hard. I have time to think about this stuff. good luck.

mommylovesu28

Answer by mommylovesu28 at 2:24 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• OUtside toys rock also they get bored by themselves you've got to play with him and/or go to the park.
    I turn the TV off and tell them to find something else to do..... makes them use their imagination.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 4:33 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Play with him or find him some buddies he can play with.. It can get quite boring him just running around by himself for god knows how long. He only prefers to sit in front of the tv because you allow it, turn it off and take him outside. If he says he is bored, find something else to do with him. Take him to the park to play on the play gyms. Whatever it takes.. My son would live outdoors if we could unfortunately we don't have much of a yard for him to run and play in and the closest park in 25 minutes away so we can't go on a daily basis but we find things to do to stay busy and active.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 7:29 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• if i didn't know better i would have thought i wrote this letter. i have a 9 yrs grandson/son[ i adopted him] who has a.d.h.d. smart as can be. he has to show grandma how to get things off the computer ,but when i want him to go outside to play he is bored to death . i tried basketball and other games i even tried to teach him & his brother marbles like we use to play back when i was a child. not interested ,so i'm like you .i be grad when school starts back maybe he will find something that's not boring
    skeeter722

Answer by skeeter722 at 8:12 AM on Jul. 17, 2009