Private part talk with my 5 year old

My 5 year old stepson asked me today about our dogs parts. He calls a penis "chuki", so he asked if our dog-a girl-has a "chuki". I said no honey she's a girl. "Oh so what does she have?" How do I answer thsi question w/o giving him too much info?

pretykity05

Asked by pretykity05 at 2:02 PM on Jul. 16, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• good question, my dd asked if her daddy had a "toot-toot" like her so i just said yes LOL (she's almost 3)
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 2:04 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• I have always believed in answering honestly. My mom was a nurse so correct anatomical terminology was always used, I've done the same with my kids
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 2:04 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• I don't think that it would hurt to answer him honestly. He probably just wants to know the name and he'll leave it at that. You could always change the subject if it starts getting to a point where you are uncomfortable. But if you are open to this discussion now, it will help later on when there are other important talks that need to be had. Good luck.
    LaceyAM

Answer by LaceyAM at 2:06 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Like Zakysmommy, I agree with going anatomically correct. Tell him she has a vagina, and that all girls have vagina's.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 2:06 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• she has a chuckette? Ok that was a joke. proper names are the best to tell kids. If not, they get confused when someone does tell them the correct name for it.

Answer by admckenzie at 2:38 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• children should always know the proper names for body parts and their functions.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:48 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• He should know the proper names, but it's not up to you to tell him. It's up to his biological mom and his dad. You should tell your husband about the conversation and that he needs to talk to his son.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:21 AM on Jul. 17, 2009