Christians and the military

How do you feel about Christians in the military? Should they be there? Are they going against God when they serve or are they serving God through their service?

airadan

Asked by airadan at 2:05 PM on Jul. 16, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Doesnt bother me one bit. They are protecting our country, their children, future grand-children.

As long as it doesnt bother them, it doesnt bother me.
    Anonymous

• I think it is fine for Christians to be in the military. Some of the greatest followers of God ever were warriors. King David for example was a very skillfull warrior, and yet God calls him "a man after God's own heart."

God will also help out the military when there are people there who look to Him for help and praise Him. Many times God would give His people victory in war, just for worshiping Him. So it is better IMO to have believers in the military, God will bless everyone because He wants to bless His own as well.

I have a dear friend who is in the military and he is hardcore. He relates very well to many of the Old Testament stories of war and victory in the Lord. He is a man of great faith and bravery. Someone who God honors.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 2:08 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Anyone can call himself a Christian. I think the issue is, is the Christian doing God's will? I doubt he wants us killing each other. It saddens him, you know? I support the military coming home, not the war itself.
    Anonymous

• I agree with Anon 2:13
    LaceyAM

Answer by LaceyAM at 2:15 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• I am sure there are certain wars that disappoint Him, if we are killing people for the wrong reasons. Everyone has a different opinion on this war-- is it protecting our country? is it trying to buy oil with blood?

But war in general, a right war, is not necessarily sinful. There is a difference between murder and killing. War is war, and there are times when it is justified to kill (as terrible as it sounds). But the Bible never forbids killing during a war. However, there have been people who have not been killed by the war, but murdered during the war and that has been considered wrong. Joab murdered people and it was wrong. It is a really interesting topic.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 2:22 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• I don't think it matters anymore than any other religion serving in the military. However if you would like a Biblical Reference To armies there are several. Start HERE

KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 2:22 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• I wouldn't want to serve under this government, nor would I want that for my children. If we were still under a theocracy headed by the LORD, sure.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 3:40 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• I see nothing wrong with it. I personally don't believe God looks down on it at all. We are told to love each other as we love ourselves, so much so that we should be willing to lay our lives down for others. Every day a military person (and public service members IE Police, firefighters, EMT,etc..) is willingly sacrificing their lives to ensure our safety. Each day they go into harms way to make sure we can sleep at night and wake up each day. JMO though:)
    TippyD

Answer by TippyD at 7:24 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• We are told to pay back Caesars things to Caesar but Gods things to God, who do you owe your life to as a Christian, God or the Government? and if as a Christian you go to war against another Country who's citizens are willing to fight but are also Christians that how does Jesus command to not kill your Christian Brother fit into it?
    lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 7:38 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• If it is wrong to be military and Christian and its a universal truth then there would be no worry about Christians fighting one another, right?

I'm also curious as to why Jesus would commend the Centurion for his faith if he didn't approve of the line of work.

Thanks for the answers BTW!
    airadan

Answer by airadan at 9:31 PM on Jul. 16, 2009