He's quite backwards in his ways...

My son turned two in March, and we're starting to potty train. He can tell me when he's peeing in the tub, he can tell me when he has to poop...but he won't even mention peeing. We just got him his potty chair about a week ago, and the first two days he pooped and peed in it at the same time, but he will NOT just pee in it. I tried Dr. Phil's method yesterday with the doll, he HATED it. So today he said he was pooping, so I sat him on the potty and he pooped..but no pee. I just don't get it. Any advice?

shantastic84

Asked by shantastic84 at 2:25 PM on Jul. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Don't wait for him to tell you he needs to go and dont' ask him if he needs to go. Simply tell him it's time to sit on the potty and see if anything comes out.
    Once he figures it out, still don't wait for him to tell or ask. He may tell you, he may answer honestly or he may do what most kids do - say "NO" even while holding themselves. Going to the potty means putting down your toys, walking away from your play, leaveing the TV. So kids put it off until it's too late and they pee their pants.
    Keep him on a schedule and watch for his "potty dance" signs until he simply starts walking down to the bathroom on his own. And that may take years. "I forgot" and "I was busy" accidents are common into early grade school.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:56 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• i dont have a boy (YET) but my friend does and my sister does and according to both of their boys, your son is father than they are/were at that age. be patient and consistant...he'll get there. my dd pooped in the potty first too and it took a couple months to get her to pee, but now she's a pro...good luck :)
    lilysmommy23

Answer by lilysmommy23 at 2:59 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Thanks for the advice!
    shantastic84

Answer by shantastic84 at 3:20 PM on Jul. 16, 2009