Is 2 cans a tuna too much for 2 kids in a week?

I gave my 6 and 8 year old nieces tuna 2 days in a row, each day they split 1 can. Their mom got mad bc of the mercury.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:34 PM on Jul. 16, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Personally I would have asked for something else. Tuna two days in a row sounds boring. As for the mercury....well, it wasn't your best decision in life. They won't die but don't make a habit of it.

Answer by admckenzie at 2:36 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• the WIC office told me that my daughter (14 months) can have up to one can of tuna a week.

So your nieces are fine...
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 2:36 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• It depends on what kind of tuna and what other fishes they are eating.

You can copy and paste this link to see the fish guidelines:

http://www.nrdc.org/health/effects/mercury/walletcard.pdf

Answer by rkoloms at 4:44 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• It depends on the type of tuna (Albacore is a no no for kids under 5 higher in mercury) my daugher loves tuna, but just found a calculator that says I should limit her to 1/2 can a weak to avoid too much mercury.
    norbert

Answer by norbert at 10:14 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• My son eats 1-2 cans of Tuna a week. Usually that is fine. They suggest giving a day between servings (but a serving is a can, so I think you're good).
    Amber115

Answer by Amber115 at 3:49 AM on Jul. 18, 2009