Is her dr an idiot?

My sister went to the dr yesterday. She is due August 3rd. Her ankles are swollen and her blood pressure is high. Her dr did nothing and said to just come back in a week like normal.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:37 PM on Jul. 16, 2009 in Pregnancy

• well he probably figures shes gonna go into labor soon so why bother .. the ankles thing he cant do anything about anyways all she can do is drink water and elevate but he probably should of looked into her bp a little more unless it's been high the whole time
    Anonymous

• He may be more concerned her next visit.
    Anonymous

• I'm sure if there was anything to be concerned about he would have told her so. She just needs to drink lots of water and cut back on the salt.
    Anonymous

• She could be swollen b/c she's almost 9 mo pregnant. Her blood pressure could be slightly elevated b/c she's stressed.
    Anonymous

• yes her dr is an idiot

Answer by admckenzie at 3:35 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• I think that most pregnant women get swollen ankles, particularly in the summer time (that's what my midwife told me when I complained about my slightly swollen ankles in the winter). He will probably be more concerned about her blood pressure if he sees a sustained increase. If it was borderline high, and only slightly higher than usual, it could just be a normal fluctuation. I'd wait a week before getting concerned.
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 3:46 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Swelling is normal at the end of pregnancy (especially when pregnant in the summer). The blood pressure could be an issue but that depends on how high it is and if she's spilling protein or not.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 4:43 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• in the summer, pregnant ladies are going to swell more. she needs to drinks lots more WATER. her bp could just be high bc she's stressed. but, if this is her first high bp, then he's probably not concerned.
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 7:50 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• My doctor did the same thing when i was pregnant with my first. I had the same things going on & at first they didn't make a big deal out of it. The next appt they decided to induce.
    riceswife

Answer by riceswife at 1:27 AM on Jul. 17, 2009