My 5 month old loves to watch tv. When I play with her she turns her head all the way around to watch it. Is it bad for her to watch tv? I usually turn it off so she will play instead of watching it.

Kristin1609

Asked by Kristin1609 at 2:38 PM on Jul. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I figure it's better for her to play then to watch tv. My daughter does the same thing and I just turn off the tv. I think she likes me better anyways:-)
    AutumnsMom31309

Answer by AutumnsMom31309 at 3:02 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• TV isn't good for kids period, it slows their brain cells down. The TV caught my sons attention at that age and we just never turned it on around him again. He's 20 months old now and pays no attention to the TV at all - which of course is good AND bad but he's active and playful and wants to be outside and his mind is constantly working and learning. Its amazing.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:19 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• As you've found, it interfers with play. And play is the way that babies and young children learn. So keep it off. As she gets older, remember that and keep it off when she is playing. If you have set TV time, fine. Stick to PBS and Sprout (it's much more educational than Nick Jr or Disney) and limit her total screen time each day. Video games, computer games, and TV all count as "screen time".
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:36 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• I don't know about the educational merit of say Dragon Tales vs Dora, but I do know it's best to keep the TV off.

Answer by missanc at 8:15 PM on Jul. 16, 2009