HELP PLEASE! My two year old is out of control....

Lately it has been pretty much every day that he will throw this temper tandrum. It lasts about 30-45 minutes. Nothing soothes him. He gets really mean, to the point that he will throw anything in sight, he will pinch and hit on me and my husband. I tried everything and nothing seems to work. I put him in his room for 2 minutes and try to take him out and it makes it worse! I left him in there for longer than two minutes one time and that didn't help either! I don't know what to do anymore! If anyone has any suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated! I am also worried that something is wrong or bothering him that I just can't get to the bottom of it! Should I talk to a doctor? Any advice would be helpful! Thanks again!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:39 PM on Jul. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Put him in his room as soon as his next tantrum starts - don't yell at him or try to reason with him. Tell him you know he is angy or upset and you are he needs some time to calm down. Put him in his room and say you'll be back when he's ready to be sweet. Leave him there until he is calm for at least two minutes. If you get him out before he is done and before he has calmed down it doesn't help (I made the mistake of going in too soon a few times and it really just started all over again). When he's been calm for two minutes (it may take a LONG time to calm down the first few times) get him and give him a hug, but don't lecture him about the tantrum. The next time he starts throwing a fit do exactly the same thing. You'll see after a week or so of being calmly handled he will start cooling off faster and faster. The two hardest things for me are staying calm myself and waiting for two whole calm minutes. Good luck.
    Anonymous

• Take everything out of him room except for his bed, pillow and a blanket. When he gets in trouble, put him in his room and leave him in there for 10-30 minutes when throwing a tantrum. Kids, normally, throw tantrums to get attention - good or bad. Now some kids really do have issues and will need help from a doctor; however, I am going to assume that your child is probably not one of these kids - as you indicated that you put him in his room for about two minutes. Make sure there is nothing in the room that he can hurt himself with and just leave him in there. My doctor assured me that kids can cry for a long time (like an hour) and that it is okay. I have used this when my kids have hurt someone else - not for minor issues.

Another time out method I've used is nose in the corner. I have made my kids stand in the corner with there nose touching the wall for 5 minutes. And I do have a two year old, she does this.
    MaryAnne3mommy

Answer by MaryAnne3mommy at 2:54 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Try the pressure method. When he starts to throw a fit then sit down on the floor with him in your lap and hold down his legs and arms. Show him that it is not ok. He may need a little more one on one time before he gets to the mad point also. Try watching for what might trigger the explosion also. If you know that he getts frustrated when trying to play with a toy then watch him with the toy and see what frustrates him. If he is not talking yet then maybe it is that he is not getting his point across . Help him with that by talking throw when he gets hurt. When my kids get hurt then I say things like did you hurt the table to make them laugh but I also say I am sorry that you got hurt. Are you going to be ok? I know I hate it when I fall down on that we will have to pick it up! So that helps him understand that he can talk it out. Hope this helps!
    tichelle

Answer by tichelle at 2:57 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Is there a specific thing that start this or is it out of the blue? Is it when he's not getting is way or a true " I have no idea what happened" tantrum?
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:23 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Thank you all for your suggestions and I will take each and everyone one and try it out! Sometimes it is something that triggers it, but other times it is really for no reason!
    Anonymous