Was Christianity better off when knowledge was restricted?

When only the clergy were allowed to interpret it, there was agreement. The more people branched off to make their own, the more people died.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:03 PM on Jul. 16, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Christianity may have been better off, but do you think people were? Just take women as an example.... how repressed would we be if we never questioned authority? And Religious authority used to be the highest order!
    I don't think free thinking is a bad thing. I am NOT a sheep, I like to think for myself, and learn on my own.
    motherofanaries

Answer by motherofanaries at 3:10 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Yes there have been wars caused between catholics and protestants clashing, but there were religious wars and deaths before protestants came around too.

So if you're going to have violence anyway, you might as well have it where there greater personal knowledge amongst everybody.
    Anonymous

• One of my favorite authors put it this way:

"In our desire for unity, we cannot afford to sacrifice truth." (Steve Wohlberg)

The people who died during the Middle Ages for this truth of Jesus Christ, did not died because what they did was wrong. They died because a corrupt system attempted to hide the lies they told to suppress these people. These people were willing to die for their faith, and their blood watered the seed of truth. As more blood was spilled, new believers sprouted up everywhere. As people studied and found more truth they broke off to worship as their consciences dictated. Every human deserves that right.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 3:37 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• IMHO (and MHO only), it is important to a religion that wants to stay unified and have its rituals perpetually justified, never questioned, rejected or deviated from, to only have one person or group of leaders in agreement interpreting everything for everyone else. This is why I value someone's individual study and interpretation over what someone told them to think. This is why I value relationship and spirituality over ritual and religion.

I do not think denominationalism is a sin. I think any member of ANY denomination that is in that particular denomination because they feel God there and feel they are worshipping him in the best way they know how is pleasing to God, DESPITE the fact that they may or may not be "right" or that others interpret scripture differently. I think information being readily available to all bennefits the INDIVIDUAL but not a RELIGION. KWIM?
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 5:30 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• So you'd prefer that everyone just blindly followed their local preacher????
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 5:45 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Then people only have a relationship with their clergy.

I would rather have a relationship with God.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 6:33 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

Following their local preacher is the problem. Because each preacher has his own rules. And people listen to their chosen preacher and take his word as gospel. The local preacher is why 2 people will take the same scripture and one says it proves gay marriage is ok and the other says gay marriage is a sin.
    Anonymous

• actually people died even then, in the name of religion.. probably more so, because the Churches had all the political power.. (thus contributing to a lot of political wars).

xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 7:09 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• No, that's how corrupt leaders started things like the crusades. Just tell an illitate population that God told you to go kill some people and take the holy land. They don't know any better so they will follow blindly.
    Or tell men it's their job to abuse their wives so their wives will submit. Never mind the whole part before it that says to love her, it's not important.
    Leaders who are not questioned fall, be that in churches, in politics, in business what ever.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 9:50 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• wow. just . . . wow.

I don't know why Bertrand Russell isn't a Christian, but notions like the one expressed by the OP are one of the many reasons I'm glad that I'm NOT.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 5:29 PM on Jul. 17, 2009