dogs

my kids are 2 and 1 and for christmas we are thinking about getting them a puppy. we would like one that is very kid friendly and that dosent shed alot ( the dog will be an inside dog) any sug. what kind of dogs do you like the best thank you for all your help

klinemom2

Asked by klinemom2 at 3:04 PM on Jul. 16, 2009 in Pets

• A gold fish LOL... Heaven knows I love my dog and I could not imagine getting rid of him because I have had him for so long BUT they're a handful!!! They make things alot more complicated and expensive. Vet bills!!! Or when you go on vaction, you need some one to watch them or you and the family decide to spend a full day out and they spend it in cooped up in a house. The worst is getting up a 7 in the morning and taking your dog out for a walk when there is snow on the ground!!!
    Jillybeans24

Answer by Jillybeans24 at 3:18 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• When it comes to kids and pets its not a good idea to get children pets till they are atleast 5 and they understand how to handle pets. I have seen many dogs and cats injured and even killed by kids who didn't know they were hurting them. Children are too rough with pets when they are very young (i am not saying all children but many of them ) My mom has a dog who now hates kids because he was given to young children as a gift and they broke his back legs. When ever kids come around he has to be locked in a room because he will snap at them.
    Also remember that this dog will not be for the kids it will be for YOU you will have to take care of it and feed it and train it and that can be a lot when you are already trying to teach 2 kids so young.
    Alie1313

Answer by Alie1313 at 4:00 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• I have to agree with the PP. I would wait until the youngest is at least 4 before getting a puppy.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 4:24 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Having a puppy is just like having another baby around. I agree with the PP about waiting. But if you decide to go ahead and get a puppy please do your research about the breed you choose. You also have to remember that not all dogs will follow the norm. Check out Dogster.com they have a "test" thing on there that can suggest breeds of dogs that would be right for you and your family if you do choose to get one. Also if you do decide to get a puppy PLEASE get one from a shelter or a reputiable breeder.
    Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 4:35 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Well. I disagree with PPs because i think puppies are great no matter what ages! (my parents think im crazy lol) but boxers are phenomonal with children. I have a pit/boxer and he is fantastic. Honestly any breed can be good with children if they are raised properly. I agree that rescues deserve your first choice because they are so overcrowded and rescues are very careful about adopting out their dogs, they do a temperment test on them to make sure they behave!!! I did a lot of research about different breeds with children because i got to choose a puppy when i got pregnnt! if you have any questions feel free to PM me
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 5:09 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• get an older dog and i would get a standard poodle cause they are low energy super smart and are super kid friendly. i sometimes come accross them on craigslist. i have had many breeds in my life and the poodle has been my favorite they are much like a lab personality but with the no shed hair. although there will be grooming. puppies is like having more kids and are frustrating to clean. try with a older dog and as they grow get them a puppy later.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 7:29 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• We don't believe in getting pets "for the kids" because pets are not presents, the kids rarely hold the majority of care, and the money you spend on a pup grows as the pet grows. So for us, we look at it as adding another pet to the family. With that said, do your research. I have had pound puppies that were absolutely wonderful with kids, and purebreds that were awful. I have also had purebreds that were wonderful and pound puppies that were horrible. So, if you go for a pound puppy, take the kids with you, get one that isn't too timid, yet not too agressive. For purebreds, we chose a South African Boerboel, because they are wonderful with kids, all mastiffs are. Plus, she is big enough to deal with the "abuse" the kids put her through, she considers it LOVING, and begs for more. If you have never had a dog before, do alot of research on training and care of them. Make sure you are ready for what they need.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 8:16 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Honestly i would say a golden retriever but they tend to shed..not like a whole lot..but enough...my second choice would have to be a lab...just as loving...they shed a little though...i do not agree with people suggesting a poodle...not by any means with small children....they have...issues..my grandma has owned two....the first one was very over protective of her toys and this second one listens horribly and they were both snotty things...i also don't suggest poodles because they have a lot of health issues..esp with twisted stomachs according to the vet. but any breed of dog could be a good possibility...just need to check the breeding of the dog and how the family before hand treated him or her...we had a german shepherd when i was little..my grandma kept telling my mom that she was gonna turn on us one day..but she never did any such thing..she was wonderful!!
    phoenixdreamer

Answer by phoenixdreamer at 12:05 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• i have no problems with gettin a puppy when kids are young..i think thats ridiculous o wait til they are at least 4 or5 yrs old..my only thing is..i dunno where you live...but if you live in a place that gets lotsa snow i wouldnt get a puppy during winter.....getting one during spring or summer is alot better because its easier to potty train them..unless you wanna spend your time getting frustrated cuz your cleaning up poop and pee all day long...as for non shedding dogs..those really only come in small breeds..and with kids...especially with little kids, you should go for a bigger breed..small dogs can be very skiddish around kids..bigger dogs, like retrievers or labs are more family orientated..i have a golden retriever and ya he sheds..but not toooooo much...and it only happens twice a year and last for a couple weeks..so its not to bad...good luck with your decision!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 12:35 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• i would talk to the human society and see what the recomand. i wouldnt get a little dog b/c they get nippy....im all for getting petswith kids it teaches them compassion and reponsiability...my house is full of all sorts of animals and my 4 yr old can tell u who gets what food how to chance their cage and she holds most of them.
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 1:34 AM on Jul. 17, 2009