what kind of dog should we get

my kids are 2 and 1 and for christmas we are thinking about getting them a puppy. we would like one that is very kid friendly and that dosent shed alot ( the dog will be an inside dog) any sug. what kind of dogs do you like the best thank you for all your help

klinemom2

Asked by klinemom2 at 3:06 PM on Jul. 16, 2009 in General Parenting

• Miniature Schnauzer
    Anonymous

• I think the best dogs come from the shelter. Also consider that you have your hands full already with two toddlers so perhaps a 2 year old dog that is out of the "puppy" stage and is house broken would be better. Again, shelters are a great place to find them.
    Anonymous

• Because you don't have your hands full enough with a 1 and 2 year old?? lol!!! Labs are good with kids. Nothing TOO small as a puppy that they could hurt it. smaller dogs I have heard tend to be biters or can be agressive I have heard.. good luck!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:37 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• as much as i agree with getting a dog from a shelter, you have to consider a puppy will grow up with the children and it is much safer. As the saying goes you can't teach an old dog new tricks. Most dogs are set in their ways, if you get one from the shelter. My best friends sister is going to school to be a vet, and my grandfather works for a vet, they both have told me these things. As for a dog, do some research online there are multiple websites out there that tell you what dog would suit your family best.
    navyma23

Answer by navyma23 at 3:54 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Look at the pounds or dog rescues in your area. Try Petfinder too. Its a great site. We have two large dogs that are AMAZING with our children. But they are both long haired, but if you keep up on grooming it won't be much of an issue. Our Bernese Mountain Dog is the BEST with kids. They are great family breed. If you want to know more, feel free to ask me. :)
    Juliets1

Answer by Juliets1 at 3:59 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Puppy and toddlers do not go well together. Research breeds; once you determine what breed will work best for you, look for a 2 year old rescue

Answer by rkoloms at 4:37 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• as wonderful as a grown lab is, they are totally spazzy till they are about 2 yrs old. They will drive you totally crazy. Having one lab puppy is like having 5 hyperactive toddlers!
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 4:38 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• I am very lucky that the area I live in people every where are into animals and have an opinion on what kind of breed works best and why. I'm talking about people who will spend thousands on an animal for a particular kind. Well, I'm just not that fancy or have that kind of cash. But I did ask around and I found the breed that works for me in terms of my child, my wish for a loyal companion for my child, protective, and able to scare off unwanted strangers - but will not be a liability like a pitbul. So the answer for my family is Doberman. The reason why and what I learned: Doberman's are VERY intelligent and train quickly and easily by an experienced trainer to help the family. They are home bodies and guard their territory so they need a fenced in perimeter. They are extremely protective and are willing to die to protect their family. They will not bite or attack a stranger unless the command is given but they will
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 7:10 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• hold off a stranger. Unless the stranger whacks them and then they do bite. But if the owner gives the command not to attack they don't. Smart dogs. They are also fierce looking so most people do not even bother messing with them, that house, or that family. They are extremely intuitive and sensitive picking up on when someone or something is not right. For me the dog choice is about protection as well as having a family pet. It is everything I want in a dog. The only down fall is this breed is not for the timid. You need strong adults who the dog will not boss around. While not unfriendly a Doberman can boss its family around if it senses they are weak and can be demanding. Assertive alpha adults have no difficulties. I think of this more as an investment so I am willing to pay more to get the right animal.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 7:14 PM on Jul. 16, 2009