When should my son have his first dental exam?

My son will be 20 mos. old in two weeks. Should he have already had his first dental exam? Thanks!

PatricksMama07

Asked by PatricksMama07 at 3:15 PM on Jul. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Truly - ask your dentist when he wants to see him.
    Some dentists say with the first tooth, some say at 1, some at 2, some at 3. Mine said at 3. By then, there is a chance the child will sit still in the chair and let a stranger poke in his mouth. But only a chance. The chance of the dentist being bit is also much smaller by then. :)
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:23 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• It is time. Do yourself and your child a favor, and use a pediatric dentist for a few years; totally worth the extra cost...

Answer by rkoloms at 4:56 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• My mom's a dentist, and she assured me it wasn't necessary before 2, maybe even 3. We took my 25 month old in only because it was her own grandma, but even then, I had to sit on the chair and hold her for her to be comfortable with it. Just practice good oral hygiene and stay away from added sugar and I think you're okay waiting even a year.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 5:02 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• alot of dentists wont take a child unless they are 3....well in ohio at least cause no one will see my son and hes 2
    Mamaof2boys0709

Answer by Mamaof2boys0709 at 5:10 PM on Jul. 16, 2009