sending your first to kindergarten how did you feel ?

I have had the great experience of having my son with me since he was a baby! He will now start kindergarten in a month ! I am excited, sad, and very emotional. Was just wondering how you felt when your son/daughter went to school. I don't think I am the only one that feels this way?

kristy817

Asked by kristy817 at 3:16 PM on Jul. 16, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I was a mix of emotions. My ds was never in preschool so I was attached to him! I was proud of him and amazed at how fast he grew up andI cried as I left the school. I was a little surprised that I was the only mom that cried!
    Anonymous

• I was extremely sad. I knew it was time for him, he'd already started to read, but he had been my little buddy and followed me around and was such a dear. I realized after the third day that he was in school that I was going to have to bite the bullet and go shopping on my own or it would only get harder. I felt so awful not having that little hand to hold. So I made myself go out, and it was fine. However I'd snapped a picture as he got on the bus, and he'd turned around at the last second and looked at me, a world of uncertainty in his face. If I'd seen the expression at the time he made it, instead of concentrating on getting a picture, I would have burst into tears myself. As it was I sniffled all the way back to the house that first day.

Answer by Bmat at 3:23 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• I am in the same spot you are in! My son will be starting in about a month. I loved having him home and his brother is going to be lost without him. But I look forward to him meeting new friends and new things and I look forward to the one on one time I get with my 3 year old. We really never had just us bc he was our second. So I think that will be some good bonding time for us.
    JennRN09

Answer by JennRN09 at 3:29 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• I was beyond excited and never once felt sad or depressed or anything. I couldn't wait. She wasn't even that nervous and happily got on the bus the first day. We had just moved to the town and the only time she had been in the school was when we registered her. She had never been in her classroom, never met her teacher and had never ridden a school bus before that first day. She came home so excited.
    She's going into 4th grade this year and I've put 2 other kids through kindergarten (one's going into 2nd grade and one's going into 1st grade this year) and my youngest is starting preschool. I can't wait.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 3:42 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• I cried the first day he went to Preschool. When it was time for him to go to Kindergarten, we talked about the school he would attend. We talked about all the fun things he would get to do and the new friends he would make. We visited the school and his classroom...etc. I took him to school and would stay with him while he ate breakfast. On the second day of school, my son told me, "mom, I know where my classroom is. You can go home." LOL I thought, "oh my gosh, he's growing up." So, I went home a little sad and a little proud.

Congrats, you are now a mom to a kindergartner...just you wait until the end of the year when they do kindergarten graduation. You will bawl like a baby. I did.

Safirejewl

Answer by Safirejewl at 3:48 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• I had very hard tttime witth my frist child. but when we got to the door .he said by mom see you later. i was stun. but it wasn't that way with tthe others. infact i had one tell me she wasn't going. she has going to stay with her grandmother till we went and visit. then she changed her mind. i sure did mis them the house was so quiet.
    em1o

Answer by em1o at 4:06 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• I cried, but after she was in her class. But it was also hard because her little sister was going to a three's program twice a week so I didn't know what to do with myself. But as the months went by I saw them just enjoying the time at the school. Its really neat when they come home and they are teaching you new things now that they have learned. Its sad at first, but as the months pass its far more rewarding to see your child just excell at everything!
    Mendoza42007

Answer by Mendoza42007 at 11:04 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• As a teacher, I was very excited for her! I was happy for her because she was going to be learning so many new things and making new friends.
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 8:49 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• I can't wait. He starts next month. He's grown so much over the last 5 years and I can't wait to see how he develops, how he grows and the skills he gains!!!
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 9:22 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• I was SAD! Every time I drove by the school I cried:( He is now going to first grade and he handled kinder well. Mommy was just emotional! LOL
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 12:54 PM on Jul. 17, 2009