What is a Christian Scientist?

There's a Christian Science church in my town. I drove by it the other day. Hmm.

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 3:23 PM on Jul. 16, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• An oxymoron.
    Anonymous

• lol good answer!
    Anonymous

• Good answer anon LMAO!
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 3:47 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• http://www.tfccs.com/becomingamember/tenets2.jhtml

was it a Church of Christ, Scientist? i know their beliefs fairly well, since i grew up in the Church of Christ & often had to tell ppl i wasnt a Christian Scientist haha. evil is an illusion, the Bible isnt taken literally, & they view the material world as unreal. but the thing they are prolly known best for is that they do not believe drugs, surgery, or modern practices will heal them. they "heal" through specific prayer because the pain is not real as this world isn't real. or at least thats what ive gathered.

okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 3:50 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Oh wow. That's interesting. I can't remember which one it was, I just know it had Science and something about Christ or Christian in the sign, haha.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 3:51 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Answered at 3:27 PM on Jul. 16, 2009 by: Anonymous
    An oxymoron.

That was the first thing that popped into my head too.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 3:56 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• A christian scientist is a person who went to school to become a scientist and is also Christian.

Many Christians are more secure in their beliefs BECAUSE of science
    drink-lover

Answer by drink-lover at 4:07 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• My DH's grandma was Christian Scientist and his dad was raised that way, though non-practicing now. I didn't get to know her very well because she developed dementia when I first started dating my DH and then passed away a few years later. I do know that she didn't believe in taking any medicine of any sort and she would pray over sick family.

MIL took her to the Dr. when she was 80 something. The Dr. asked what prescriptions she was on as most 80 somethings are on a whole cabinet full by then. She said nothing. The Dr. did not believe her and asked my MIL. She was very healthy too. In fact, her body never really did go downhill until her mind did.

My FIL has to be practically DYING before he'll take ans asprin or anything. He'll just suffer through it! I had to convince him to take sinus medication one night because he was in such pain from sinus pressure! It knocked him out the rest of the night!
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 4:13 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

Next time read the whole question...
    Anonymous

• drink-lover

A christian scientist is a person who went to school to become a scientist and is also Christian.

*&*&*&*

Way to misunderstand the post there.
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 8:46 PM on Jul. 16, 2009