Breastfed baby refusing bottle, and help?

My son is 5 months old and has always been fed from breast. Now that I have to go back to work, he needs to start taking a bottle and he will not do it! I've tried the drop-ins with every nipple I can find, the bottles that came with my pump, NUK, cheap Wal-Mart, K-Mart, every dollar store in my town. I feel like I've tried every bottle and none of them seem to satisfy his needs. I've tried feeding him, having everyone else feed him, feed him laying down, swap the breast for bottle in the middle of a feeding and none of it seems to work for us. Any advice? Oh yeah, I've tried two different types of formula and breastmilk in the bottles and he doesn't seem to be happy with any of it... I'm freaking out her mommas and I really need your help! Thanks in advance for all the answers!

youngmommy21709

Asked by youngmommy21709 at 3:43 PM on Jul. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Have you tried the Breastflow bottles from babies r us? They are the closest to breastfeeding.

ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 3:49 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Ohhh also...have someone else give it to baby. Your milk will be smelled, and what child wants second best to the mommy diner
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 3:50 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• I'm interested in your answers. My son is four months and refuses a bottle. I was gone for continuing education for about seven hours one day and he just screamed the whole time. Wouldn't take any sort of bottle or formula.
    bluelady27

Answer by bluelady27 at 4:01 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Don't stress and don't worry, my son hated bottles too. The first week or so he rarely took one at daycare and before I went back he took 1 oz from daddy when I was gone for 3 hours. It took that long for him to finally give into the bottle. In the 8 hours I worked daily he would take 4 oz, about 1/2 what the norm is BUT my LC said thats ok becuase he nursed extra when I was home to make up for it. At 4 months he nursed at 4am, 6:30am at the daycare then took 2 2oz bottles and I picked up and nursed a 3:30 he nrused on demand the rest of the afternoon and evening...ususally nursing 6-7 times daily PLUS the 4 oz of the bottle, he did FINE. BTW waiting for mom to get there is called reverse cycling. It can be perfectly fine and help maintain your supply. Pump while gone, leave 1 oz an hour and if baby refuses it baby will make up the nutritional need when youa re home by nursing extra...no worries I promise
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 6:28 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• heres a website about reverse cycling
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/reverse-cycling.html
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 6:29 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Thank you all for your anwers... Just wanted to let you know that we decided to try a sippy cup as a last resort and IT WORKED!! Its a NUK one with a soft top and handles and he LOVES it! Took it right away so my SO and I got to go on our first date last night! So worth it!
    youngmommy21709

Answer by youngmommy21709 at 9:43 AM on Jul. 17, 2009

• My last three boys were like that, I of them it took him like three days and only he eat small amounts, and someone else had to feed him. Then after he started with them he wouldn't go back to breastfeeding, the other two boys never really took to the bottles, but then again I wasn't working so they only had them when I was away for a few hours.I always did the drop-ins
    dragonfly889

Answer by dragonfly889 at 10:18 AM on Jul. 17, 2009