What is a Godparents and who has them?

I mean I know what they are but I want to know if just anybody gives there kids godparents or is it a certain religion? thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:05 PM on Jul. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Im not religious AT ALL! But my bf kinda is , we chose godparents.
    Anonymous

• I'm methodist but I just didn't know. My sister is catholic and is a godmother to two kids.
    Anonymous

• We choose Godparents for my son's baptism... I assume that a person needs to be baptized to have godparents... but they might have them in other religions too, or something like it, I assume.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 4:13 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• I have best friends that I would love to be this baby's godparents. I just didn't know much about it.
    Anonymous

• Traditionally, godparents were counted informally responsible for ensuring that the child's religious education was carried out and for caring for the child should he/she be orphaned. Today the word "godparent" may not have explicitly religious overtones. The modern view of a godparent tends to be an individual chosen by the parents to take an interest in the child's upbringing and personal development. However, godparent is not a legal position, and should the parents seriously intend the godparents to act as foster parents in case of their death, this must be legally specified through the usual means (such as a will).
    GubbleBum

Answer by GubbleBum at 4:43 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Also:
    Choosing Godparents today doesn't mean much of anything with the exception of the parents regarding the couple highly enough to even ask them. Being a true Godparent years ago meant that the Godparents were there to help in any way they could and if both parents were to pass on then the Godparents were to take the child(ren) in as their own. Now it has simply become a ritual.

If the child was baptized as a Catholic,then its the responsibility of the parents and the godparents to ensure that the child is raised a Catholic. During the baptism the Parents and Godparent(s) would make a VOW on behalf of the child.So if the Parents don't fulfill their vows or changed their faith or died then it would be the God parent(s) duties to ensure that their Godchild's baptismal vows is fulfilled...(by teaching them of their christian duties as a Catholic and being an example of faith and prayer etc)
    GubbleBum

Answer by GubbleBum at 4:48 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Cont.
    It doesn't mean that by being a Godparent you have a legal responsibility for the child,but you do have a spiritual Responsibility....thats why its called God-Parent...Then when the child's older they'll renew their baptismal vows through Confirmation..
    GubbleBum

Answer by GubbleBum at 4:49 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• thank you so much GubbleBum! that helps!
    Jusica

Answer by Jusica at 4:56 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• You're very welcome :)
    GubbleBum

Answer by GubbleBum at 5:26 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Seconding a lot by gubble bum - I'm Catholic, my husband is Methodist - he has told me for our child's baptism in the Methodist church we don't need godparents which is so strange to me as a Catholic there are godparents - they are supposed to be there to make sure the child develops in the faith, but more often then not they are friends/relatives of the parents.
    amw529

Answer by amw529 at 7:03 PM on Jul. 16, 2009