How do I get rid of my quite severe sugar and flour addiction for good?

Hollytree

Asked by Hollytree at 4:07 PM on Jul. 16, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• Sounds like you've got a carb addiction. The only two plans (that I know of ) that are geared toward cutting the addiction are South Beach and Atkins. The first few days of being on low carb meal plans are VERY difficult. You could very easily go through actual physical withdrawal symptoms like the shakes, sweats, headaches and irritability. Once you get through those first few days it gets much easier!
    After an initial 2 to 3 weeks of the strict low carb meals you are then encouraged to slowly add healthy carbs like some fresh fruit, high fiber foods and whole grains to your diet. At that point YOU have to be able to say NO to the temptations of bread, potatoes, rice and pasta, or at the very least to cut your portions way back.
    Like rkoloms said, don't even buy the stuff you crave. If you have to, give someone else a list and have them do the shopping for you.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 6:27 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Sugar not sure. Wish I could to and as for flour addiction. Ive never heard of that.
    Nikky0803PAG

Answer by Nikky0803PAG at 4:26 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Stop buying sugar and white flour. I use only whole wheat pastry flour and buy only whole grains. I use several different sweeteners: agave and maple syrups, succanat, stevia, honey.

If you can be specific about the foods you eat, I can try to find recipes for you with healthy alternatives.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:29 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Do the Atkins diet. It sounds like you have a total carb addiction and the only way to truly rid yourself of it is to ditch the carbs for protein and fat. You'll probably lose some weight too! I'd like to suggest the book "Good Calories, Bad Calories". It's not a diet plan, but an analysis of the science behind weight loss/obesity, diabetes, carb addictions, etc. Reading that book proved an incredible motivator for me to get my own diet under control with no regrets.
    Intrepid

Answer by Intrepid at 6:40 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• You probably have a candida overgrowth and your cravings can be as bad as a person trying to quit smoking. The only way to stop it is to cut it completely out, for a month or two and then slowly add back in the healthier stuff.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 3:02 PM on Jul. 18, 2009