Planning the nursery!! Need help!

Getting ready to do my baby registry and not really sure what I should put on it. Mom and M-N-L keep saying I don't need this and that. Telling me lots of things are just a waste and you'll never use them, ( for example a changing table.) My husband and I are in our 30's so I know alot has changed since our parents prepared for us. I would like your imput on what you felt was necessary for your nursery. I love the nurserys with the crib, changing table, dresser, rocker etc. Do you really use all the stuff or does it look pretty in the room? Or are the moms right? Also how many moms actually use the stroller that your car seat attaches to? My S-I-L never used hers when my niece was an infant and later bought an umbrella stroller that she uses all the time now. I just don't want our families to waste their money if its something we most likely won't use.

2009newmommy

Asked by 2009newmommy at 4:08 PM on Jul. 16, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I used all of that stuff in the nursery. And as for the stroller find one that has a removable front tray and you can use it longer (after awhile putting them in gets hard if you dont).
    Anonymous

• I have all that stuff for my babies room. Bed, dresser, changing table, rocker, and I plan to use it all. Not sure why I wouldnt. Now our rooms are down stairs and I may not go all the way down stairs to chnage him but when we are down there yes I will use it. And before you think Im sticking my baby in a basement or something Id like to share that it is a split foyer so not exaclty like putting him in a dungon. Just another part of the house basically.
    Nikky0803PAG

Answer by Nikky0803PAG at 4:24 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• I think it all just depends!! I wish you lived closer I would give you my changing table. I never use it but I do use it to keep all the babys diapers blankets all her lotion and stuff on it so it is kind of being used but as far as changing her on it no the bed is way easier just put her under a blanket :) Lots of stuff may work for you that doesnt work for someone else, it depends on your and the babys needs but one thing I know you may need DIAPER GEENIE lol also lots of clothes the nighties that zip up are nice even in summer I use them alot. baby shoes are a waste!
    HeidilovesNyla

Answer by HeidilovesNyla at 4:29 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• My stroller and carseat attatch and they are amazing I use it all the time!
    HeidilovesNyla

Answer by HeidilovesNyla at 4:30 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• I always used my stroller that had the carseat in it! Until he was 2 and I got a jogging stroller- you CAN listen to them - but when they are not around, just register for what you want online :) they can express their opinion = that is what moms do :) but this is about YOUR baby :)
    Anonymous

• I never had a changing table, I used my bed or the couch. And I never used the stroller that my car seat came with. It was huge! But everyone likes different things.
    Anonymous

• I use my changing table a lot. It is easier on my back and knees to change my babies on the changing table than in the floor, but if the nursery had been a long way from the living room I probably would have set up a changing station in the living room and not used it as much. I had a recliner that rocked in my living room, so I didn't a rocker for the twins' nursery (I had a basic wooden rocker for my older one and didn't use it much either). I've had a variety of strollers, and there were pros and cons with each. If I were having a single baby I would check out some of the smaller strollers that also accomodate an infant seat. The ones that come as a matching set look kind of bulky to me, and I think there are some that do not come as a set that you can buy an infant seat adapter for that might be better strollers when your baby outgrows the infant seat (it happens quicker than you think).
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 4:32 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• I think that as long as you have what you need to start you should have anything you want especially if its your first you want it to be special i know i got a changing table for 40$ painted it and it looks great i know i will never use it but its apart of my pregnancy buying things and picking things out you should put what ever you want on your resgistry and it should be up to them what to get you have fun with this and dont listen to overly advice it makes things more confusing and frustrateing
    newmom183

Answer by newmom183 at 4:39 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• I bought a dresser that has two little cubby holes to put the diapering accessories into and then it has a changing table top. That way it can be used later as just a dresser and she can store toys or whatever in the cubby holes. I'm not a big fan of those huge strollers that have the matching infant seats and all that and I walk my dogs a lot and not just on smooth sidewalks, either. So I went with a more expensive stroller that is good for pretty much anywhere. The stroller has an attachment you can buy to use with certain infant seats and it folds up really easily. Also, pur baby isn't here yet, but we have been thinking about moving the changing pad into the bathroom and doing changes there because we're going to cloth diaper, so it will be easier to just do everything in the bathroom and we have a large enough counter. Since the changing table is the dresser, it's not like it was a waste.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 4:46 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• I used my changing table until my daughter was too big to fit in it anymore (about 18mo).... now her little sissy is going to be using it whenever she decides to make her appearance!!! A dresser can be used for as long as it holds up.... Strollers are a must!!!! Get what you think you need, this is your bundle of joy.... spoil the baby!! LOL...
    kayla_trinity

Answer by kayla_trinity at 4:35 AM on Jul. 17, 2009