I need advice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! sorry kinda long

How do you get a 12 month old who is overtired down for a nap? my son has changed his sleep schedules to where he is sleeping alot. He takes three naps a day usually an 1hour to a hour and half long. then he goes to sleep around 7:30 and wakes every two hours and gets up at 7. Then at 9, 12, 5, he takes his naps and unfortunately makes it impossible to schedule appointments around his nap schedules since it always takes forever to get out in decent time... He used to only have two naps about an hour to 1.5hour naps and go to bed at 8. So I had to take him to the dentist today and he didn't get his morning nap. he had an afternoon one but he is tired now and he is in his crib crying and not going to sleep! I need help...We are going to the doc tomorrow so it will be another tough day...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:15 PM on Jul. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my daughter used to do this alot, not only with naps but at night, and everytime she woke up i would go in there, FINALLY i grew some balls and stopped. She went down at 7 and i didn't get her until 7ish in the morning. Then for a nap i just figured out when she started getting cranky and would put her in her room (i have a block out curtain which is just a comforter folded in half) and would leave her in there for at least 2 hours. Now she sleeps every night from 7- sometime in the morning usually when i get up to pee and the floor creaks, and when she is getting tired she will either come to me and put her head down or will just go in her room and lay on the floor next to her crib. This took alot of time and effort and alot of both of us crying (im a huge sucker and it never fails when she crys my eyes well up too )(im sensitive) but after 2-3 weeks she was good
    we have had relapses but she is great now
    smilelovesmile

Answer by smilelovesmile at 11:45 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• let him cry himself to sleep
    ggiovanni

Answer by ggiovanni at 4:34 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Okay ..my son is a lot like yours ..*I spoke to my pediatrician and didn't get much help. So I took matters into my own hands and things got a LITTLE bit better. Joshua doesn't nap at all now. For about a week I took him out of the bedroom we shared and put ALL TOYS in the living room in an area in front of the T.V. and just played with him around the time he would nap. If it would get to bad I would let him sleep around 15 -20 minutes and THAT WAS IT. It was a little rough during the first week but after a few days he got out of the habit. He sleeps 8pm-1am and then usually from there til 5-6am.
    (*he was a yr. old at this time and was sleeping to many hours during the day. wake up at 5am to go to sleep at around 10am to wake up at 2 pm to go to sleep around 8 and wake up every two hours thereafter until about 2 where he would sleep straight to 5am.
    AllieBally

Answer by AllieBally at 4:48 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• I think a twelve month old needs at least 1 nap. Ten hours isn't enough for a one year old.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 4:52 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• He shouldn't be waking every 2 hours at night. Maybe YOU need to adjust the schedule so its correct. he technically shouldn't need 3 naps a day at this age. Sounds like maybe you need to find a more accurate schedule. And it may take the CIO method at this stage of the game
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:40 PM on Jul. 16, 2009