Why is race such a big deal?

I don't understand why people need to be labeled as black, white or mexican. Like when telling a story, people will say "the black lady" or something. Why do we feel it is okay to define a person by their color? Why do people play the race card when something happens to them? Isn't that just playing into the stereotype?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:16 PM on Jul. 16, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Because it is a characteristic. If you are robbed and you need to do a sketch, you need to define the person's color of skin. It is a personal characteristic that helps define people.
    usmc0351wife

Answer by usmc0351wife at 4:18 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• If I don't know someone's name, I shouldn't assume their heritage and I am referring to someone, how is using my visual abilities and words to describe how someone looks considered racial? It is not 'stereotyping' someone to simply describe the color of their skin. The texture of their hair. I think people are over sensitive about race. If you hate who you are, nobody will be able to get it right. I have a very mixed heritage, yet I am considered simply 'white'. Do I bitch about it? No. It is what it is, OP.

Anonymous

• If you are robbed and you need to do a sketch, you need to define the person's color of skin.

If you're telling someone about the psycho woman you saw feeding her kids chocolate covered pork rinds at Wal-Mart, race is irrelevant, yet people insist on including it anyway. 99% of the time, it's included for no reason. Clarence Thomas, first black SC Justice, has an ulcer. Sotomayor, the Latina nominee, likes pickles. Barack Obama, the first black president, threw a baseball. Race has absolutely nothign to do with any of those statements, but it is always included.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:22 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Fair enough, but why is it a big deal in any other way than to find a criminal? Why do we have to make such a big deal out of the president being black? Why can't he be seen for his views rather than the color of his skin?
    Anonymous

• I've said it before that my skin color doesn't define me at all. It is merely an accessory to my outfit.
    However, since I have on control on how other people will ultimately define me I don't stress over the fact that some may label me as a 'black woman'. What they are saying isn't a lie - I am a woman of color. Now if they were to put another description before black like 'that lying black lady' or 'that selfish black lady' then perhaps I would get upset.

Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 4:28 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• I agree that race is too often used in situations when it's not necessary. I do think it is a big deal when a person breaks a racial barrier, but I don't think it matters when telling a story. I've actually had this thought in the past. Notpanicking has so good examples.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 4:29 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• "Why do we have to make such a big deal out of the president being black? Why can't he be seen for his views rather than the color of his skin?"

Because that's all he has going for him? Just a guess.... ;)
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 4:30 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• there are 3 races white black and asian i dont know why its important but i just know that i do it too though like when i am talking i will be like the black girl who lives next door is yelling outside with the landlord... i actually said that today. i think we just do it so that they know who we are talking about.
    ggiovanni

Answer by ggiovanni at 4:32 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Not everyone is making a big deal about the color of his skin. I had very mixed feelings when he was elected. On one hand, I know that it must be a big deal to AA's and everyone really that our country has come far enough to put anyone out of the ordinary (Presidents before him) into office. Yet when we are voting, we should vote on issues and our conscience. I didn't hear a lot of that. I didn't vote according to race, I voted for the candidate that represents my ideals. If that person had been any other ethnicity than McCain, that' wouldn't bother me, because it's the issues that are at hand. Not what they see in the mirror every morning. A lot of voters were just excited to 'make history' and never stopped to consider the consequences of their vote. THAT is what makes me sad.

Anonymous

I am personally getting tired of hearing about how he is the first black president to do this and that! Who bleeping cares?! Why don't other presidents get considered as the first to do something? Bill Clinton was the first Bill Clinton to stain a woman's dress. George W Bush was the first George W Bush to take a crap in the white house. Yes, he's black and made quite the achievement of becoming president, but it never should have mattered in the first place!
    Anonymous