Exactly what kind of insurance?

In all these debates about UHC/gov't plans/private ins, it's always about money and just a general concept of health coverage. When you envision this government run coverage, what do you think it will be?
I refused insurance at my last job. The way the plan was set up, you needed to pay $350/mo for family coverage, and you had to spend $10k out of pocket before anything was covered that was not preventive. Meaning an annual gyn visit was covered, but if they found a lump the mammogram/biopsy was not (unless deductibles had already been met). Same for anything else - kid's physical covered. Kid's visit for strep, not covered. Essentially we would've been paying $350/mo for the privilege of paying all of our own health expenses anyway. And the totals did not roll from year to year. Even if you did manage to spend $10k by December, you reset to $0 on Jan 1st.
How does anyone know that's NOT what gov't plans would end up?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 4:18 PM on Jul. 16, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I expect the government to dictate and ration care. I expect it to have more flaws than medicare, medicaid, and social security. AND cost more than all 3 combined within 15 years of enactment. I expect the likes of Barney Fwank to get his money grubbing hands on any form of "aid" he can to create more zero-liability voters and raise it constituentbase. I expect Barney Fwank to add AID in any bill he can, including health care to give more money to ACORN. I expect Democrats to pass it before they have read it.. Again...  I expect something to come out that shows an error in thinking (similar to the AIG bonus fiasco of the stimulus)... Again...  I expect Obama, Biden to claim it is working, then hint around the idea of needing MORE money to run it...

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 4:48 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Obama has not proposed Universal Health Care.

"A group called Conservatives for Patients' Rights began airing a television ad this week that criticizes government-run health care and falsely suggests Congress wants a British-style system here in the U.S.:
    The ad neglects to mention that President Obama hasn't proposed a government-run plan and, in fact, has rejected the idea.

It claims that a research council created by the stimulus bill is "the first step in government control over your health care choices." The legislation actually says the council isn't permitted to "mandate coverage, reimbursement, or other policies."

The ad quotes a Canadian doctor who has been critical of his country's system, but leaves out the fact that the doctor has praised other government-funded systems, such as those in Austria and France."

From Factcheck.org
    http://www.factcheck.org/politics/government-run_health_care.html
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 4:25 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

Thank you for not reading or answering my question
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:27 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• "When you envision this government run coverage, what do you think it will be?"

Not government run healthcare.

I did answer your question.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 4:30 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Pedants FTW eye rolling

Fine - when you envision the healthcare that would result from the monster legislation that just left committe what to you expect?

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:32 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• The plans are supposed to be like those offered to congress, but like all things you really can't believe it until you see it. Fortunately private insurance will still be available since it's not universal health care so we'll have the option of keeping what we have. We currently have very good insurance because my husband is a state employee (He's a teacher).

...and there's no reason for name calling. It was a mere lapse in communication.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 4:43 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• I envision a system that will probably double my monthly health insurance cost and will probably triple the length of time it takes to get an appointment to see a doctor - HMO at it's worst and then some. It's what's happened in Massachusetts - the state that Obama keeps holding up as an example of how it could work. How do most people who support it think it will work? Lower monthly costs, tiny or zero co-pays, instant access to any doctor and any treatment they need or want.

kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:05 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• How does anyone know that's NOT what gov't plans would end up?

How do you know it is what the government plans?
    Grandmarga

Answer by Grandmarga at 5:43 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Obama wants...........
    The SolutionReform the health care system:
    We will take steps to reform our system by expanding coverage, improving quality, lowering costs, honoring patient choice and holding insurance companies accountable.
    Promote scientific and technological advancements:
    We are committed to putting responsible science and technological innovation ahead of ideology when it comes to medical research. We believe in the enormous capacity of American ingenuity to find cures for diseases that continue to extinguish too many lives and cause too much suffering every year.
    Improve preventative care:
    In order to keep our people healthy and provide more efficient treatment we need to promote smart preventative care, like cancer screenings and better nutrition, and make critical investments in electronic health records, technology that can reduce errors while ensuring privacy and saving lives.
    Grandmarga

Answer by Grandmarga at 5:46 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• http://www.barackobama.com/issues/healthcare/

Stop putting more into the health plan than there is!
    Grandmarga

Answer by Grandmarga at 5:47 PM on Jul. 16, 2009