• In the Spotlight:

Are there any laywers here, or people very familiar with family court and laws?

I need some solid advice and facts.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:27 PM on Jul. 16, 2009 in General Parenting

• I'd send in cps for the harmful things and see if you can use that to get what you want using their lawyers. You can also try www.avvo.com (2 v's not a w) or www.womanslaw.org (or is it womenslaw.org?) I'd also try legal aid with my questions.

Answer by admckenzie at 4:52 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Try here: www.thelilactree.org

Answer by rkoloms at 4:32 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• not quite what i need, i should be more specific. im looking for laws on changing custody. on what is and is not a factor in a custody agreement.
    Anonymous

• I went to a family legal self help class, represended myself and won everything I asked for. Why don't you start by looking for your states family law page. It should in online, but you might have to go to the law library if you don't have one.

What is legal advice are you needing and in what state?
    Anonymous

• What state?
    Anonymous

• Ok, forget the anonymous thing. This is the OP.
    We are in Georgia. I need to know what of these factors can help us change the custody agreement.
    -an ex con is living in the other home
    -they smoke indoors, which is affecting the child in question's health.
    -they don't feed her enough or follow her sleep schedule.
    -she comes home sun burned every time. (she's only 3)
    -she comes home not speaking.
    -i THINK there are drugs involved.
    -they don't pay child support, even though it's ordered (and only $75 a month)
    mama_moonsong

Answer by mama_moonsong at 4:45 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• -they dont even get her on the days that the custody agreement states they can.
    mama_moonsong

Answer by mama_moonsong at 4:47 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• nobody flip out in me- i am the step mother. but im very concerned and have been trying to do the right thing. i know her mother has rights and i dont. but there is so much cause for concern. mt DH and i are looking into the legality of it all now. i just figured i'd get on here and get advice while im at it.
    mama_moonsong

Answer by mama_moonsong at 4:50 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• I agree send in CPS. Start documenting everything as well. Take pics when she comes home with a sunburn. And see if you cant get the little girl into some kind of counseling. The not talking when she comes home really concerns me. There may be something serious going on.

What did the ex-con do to become a convict in the first place.

(thanks for dropping the anon thing. This isn't an issue where people are going to bash or judge you)
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 5:10 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Send in CPS. Get a lawyer. Document every visit, every sunburn, every little thing that looks off. Take pictures.

Who has custody, you or them? You said they don't even get her on the days the custody agreement states they can, so I am assuming you (or your DH) has custody. I would say no visits on non-court designated days. Advance confirmation required. Notate everything from every conversation, phone call, email, disturbed sleeping, belly ache, you name it.
    Anonymous