Pacifier or No for My Next Baby?

My third baby is due Dec 31 and I'm trying to decide if I'm going to let him/her use a pacifier or not. My other 2 were quite attached to theirs and weaning my first from hers was a 2.5 week nightmare. My son is 1 and I'll be taking his away in a couple of months and I'm not looking forward to that one bit.

While the weaning from the pacifier is terrible, so is the crying and frequent wakings that come from a newborn when they don't have one.

I breastfed both of my children for a long time and both had a pacifier in their mouth the day they were born. So, I've never had trouble with BFing and using a pacifier. It's just the weaning them from it some day and having one with you every time you leave the house and finding them when they get misplaced that gets to be a bother.

For those of you who go paci-free, how do you keep your sanity, limit the crying and help baby sleep?

Do you think I should a pacifier or not? Why?

ThrivingMom

Asked by ThrivingMom at 4:41 PM on Jul. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Personally I never had those problems. Neither of my kids liked pacifers. But I'd leave it up to the baby.
    Anonymous

• I think maybe try it? My 1st son loved his paci and it was hard getting rid of it. My daughter didnt want anything to do with the Paci, my now 13mth old loves his paci but only takes it when he is tired. I dont let him have it while he is playing or anything else, I just leave it in his crib. I'm due mid December and I will offer it to the baby and go with the flow. Good Luck!
    angieluv

Answer by angieluv at 4:44 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Try it without and see what happens, newborns adjust well
    kirsty_mcgrail

Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 4:44 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• I did not intend to use pacifiers with my twins, but around 5 or 6 weeks I gave in and don't regret it one bit; I seriously don't know how we would have made it through the first few months with any sanity if I hadn't allowed them to have pacifiers. I talked to my pediatrician about it and he told me that pacifier use has been linked to a decreased chance of SIDS. He also told me to take them away during the day once they hit a year to avoid speech delay (can't practice talking with a plug in their mouth). We followed his advice, and then around 20 months we ditched them all together. I had dreaded that time for months, but it went really well. I think even if we'd had a few weeks of cranky toddlers it would have been a lot better than many months of unhappy babies.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 4:49 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• I have 2 daughters, and for both of them I took the pacifier away fbetween 5 and 6 months and it really was no trouble. First I took it away during the day (even in the car) and they seemed to not even notice. After a couple of days I took it away at night time, too. I switched their routines around so that I didn't nurse them straight to sleep (so that they'd want to keep sucking -- hence the pacifier), and started the ritual of nursing with lights on, then reading a book or two, then singing a song, and then into bed. They both did great soothing themselves to sleep if I put them down awake and calm like that. No pacifier necessary.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 4:56 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• When my son was 6months old I took his binkie except for bedtime only... By the time he was nine months he was off the binkie
    momma_marian

Answer by momma_marian at 5:01 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• my dd never had a paci....i never have liked them so i just said i didnt want any. to the "how do u keep your sanity question" when she cries its bc she needs something,or wants something,so i dont see the need for them anyways...plus i dont have to worry about breaking her from it later on :) gl with what ever you decide
    doosti

Answer by doosti at 5:02 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• My oldest had one till he was six months old (our doc told us that they loose that non nutritive sucking need around six months and therefor don't need a paci) so we clipped the tip of the binky off and then he couldn't suck on it. He spit it out and never turned back. My husband was more upset I think than ODS! Two days and he was fine!

YDS absolutely REFUSED any and all binkys and bottles and is BF. Different baby, different needs. I think that if I was going to do it all again, and my baby actually took a binky, that I would do what I did with ODS.
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 6:47 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Sorry, how do I keep my sanity...honestly YDS isn't a fussy baby (or maybe I am just used to it!) so when he is upset I just comfort him, nurse him or find whatever I can to sooth him. Your new baby will groove with whatever path you give him. He doesn't know what he wants, except YOU. So if you give him a binky, that is what he will want. If you don't give him a binky, he won't realize what he is missing (or not missing!). It's easy to pop a binky in their mouth, and shush them back to sleep, but I am sure that if you choose NOT to use a binky then you will find an alternate (walking around with baby, rocking baby, nursing...whatever) You can do it, and not loose your sanity! :) Good luck!
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 6:51 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Every baby is different. I was not going to use a binky with my daughter but from the time she was born(if not before) she sucked on her wrist and would make her little hand purple. I figured the bink was better than that. I also like it now because she gets a lot of gas and will want to nurse thinking it is hunger. Then she spits up everywhere so now I feed her the normal amount of time then give her the bink for her sucking need. It has helped.
    dolphinstar79

Answer by dolphinstar79 at 8:10 PM on Jul. 16, 2009