Does an erection hurt baby boys?

My son is 20 months and lately he has been saying ow ow and adjusting his diaper. So after a while I started trying to re-do the diaper thinking it was on him funny, or uncomfortable. So in changing him I've noticed a trend starting that when he is saying ow ow he has an erection. He's not crying about it, but he is complaining and can't seem to get comfortable. I don't know what to do about it. Or even if there is anything I can do for him. Is it a normal response? Should I be taking him to a dr over it? I've never delt with baby boys before so I'm not sure how to handle this. Someone please help!

DramaMommy

Asked by DramaMommy at 12:26 AM on Aug. 20, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It's probably just an uncomfortable feeling for him and he doesn't have the right venacular to describe it. My 2 1/2 year old son does the same thing. I just tell him to try not to think about it and it'll go away soon.
    kmingledorff

Answer by kmingledorff at 12:57 AM on Aug. 20, 2008

• No an erection doesn't hurt any man. It can be uncomfortable for him in a certain position. And yes it is a natural response. My son got them as early as 1 month old. There is nothing to do except tell him to do something else and get his mind off of it.
    truesidhe

Answer by truesidhe at 1:56 AM on Aug. 20, 2008

• well i have 2 boys of my own and each one is different. but i can tell you this, you do not have to take him to the dr. this is a normal thing they all go threw. my 2 year old thinks it is funny he says it tickels( i may have misspelled that so sorry if i did). on the other hand my oldest did not like it at all. i dont think there is anything you can do for it. i just use this moment as another learning tool for them because at that time they are paying more attention to that part of the boby so i tell them what it is "that is your peepee, you go potty with your peepee". if they have dad around make sure they know that he has the same thing. hope this helps
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:09 AM on Aug. 20, 2008

• When I did day care, we had a 2 year old who would get an erection when he woke from his nap. He would cry, and he didn't like it. We would poof some babypowder on it, and he would feel better. The baby powder didn't do a damn thing, but it was kinda like when you kiss an owie. It makes them feel better about it.
    barrettboys

Answer by barrettboys at 9:07 AM on Aug. 20, 2008

• lol I remember my son having that issue..I just gave him a hug and told him it would be okay. Then I'd redirect him to do something else like coloring. I think he'll be okay.
    MamaWorking

Answer by MamaWorking at 9:53 AM on Aug. 20, 2008

• Thankyou all. that is a relief. Helps to hear that other babies have the same type of reaction to it.
    DramaMommy

Answer by DramaMommy at 11:18 PM on Aug. 20, 2008