Is 91/2 too young to be asking sex questions?

My son 9 1/2 has been asking others questions about sex. Like he asked my mother if she ever saw Dean naked before, and if he had ever been naked on top of her. I think that these are weird questions to be asking at his age, but my mother thinks they are age appropriate, more than we would have asked, but that he is just "at that age".

dianna2402

Asked by dianna2402 at 4:52 PM on Jul. 16, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Kids tend to hear stuff at school from older kids. Try asking him why he asked.
    Anonymous

• my ob/gyn delivered a child to a nine yr old mother so it is NOT too soon to discuss these things with him

Answer by admckenzie at 4:57 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• My son cam home from school at the age of 9 asking questions cuz the kids were talking at school I answered them becuse I did not want him to hear the wrong things. 9 is not to young in my opinion
    dillonsma

Answer by dillonsma at 5:14 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• These are conversations that should start practically from birth, with teaching the proper names and functions of body parts. We never had "the talk" with our almost 14 year old. We have had a series of conversations. We will soon have to have the banana and condom talk, though. I will accept any volunteers....

Answer by rkoloms at 6:30 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• Sounds like friends are influencing
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 6:53 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• honestly I have never had my 10 almost 11 year old ask me anything like that so I would find out where he heard it from or why he asked it and then I would sit him down and have some sort of talk, maybe not the full blown talk but something close to it.
    lissy0913

Answer by lissy0913 at 7:36 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• My 12 yr. old found out at 7 because of influence by a 15 yr. old teen on our block. THAT seemed young, but 9 seems right about the right time, if not a little older. But like the other poster, my parents didn't have "the talk" they just answered questions as they came up.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 7:53 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• okay those are nothing to me...my 8 yr old has asked me "do girls have to wear shirts outside because they have boobs?" and "do you have eggs in your stomach" i personally don't want to lie to hm so i told him yes to both....he's going to learn soon anyways in the 5th grade about some of this
    Anonymous

• They are very age appropriate and you need to be answering them openly and honestly without freaking out. There are many books that can help you with this. You need to answer him correctly and honestly because he will learn it in the halls at school and that info will not be correct. For example, some older kids told my son and his friends that babies come out of buttholes. Yeah, after trying not to laugh, I had to answer that one...he was in 4th grade.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:55 PM on Jul. 16, 2009

• I remember in kindergarten knowing about some things, and spelling the word "sex" on the side of a truck in the dust/dirt. No 9 isnt too young. A couple girls in my class would go in a playhouse and beat on the walls and "pretend" they didnt do anything but it was obvious looking back on it that at least one of them had heard their parents or didnt have a secure home life. that was 17 years ago.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:34 AM on Jul. 17, 2009